Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Rerednaw

Subs For Everyone?

35 posts in this topic

I really like the RoF Epaulard, the EotBS Ika, the KoB Vanguard, and the Black Wolf.

Just wondering if there will be a sub/diving unit for every faction?

I'd sure would like to see one for CoA. I mean a lot of their navy looks like subs already.

Not in the short term. I believe Spartan has indicated (or at least implied) that they will eventually come back and offer up additional units for the original core factions, but I doubt that'd happen until all 9 are out plus mercs and allied factions. So it'll be a while.

If you compare it with Firestorm however, everything can happen.

Some renders of the alliance fleets that we got over an year ago dont have models yet while we got Oroshans and MKIIs.

So i think its not impossible that they decide to release some new stuff for the old factions inbetween.

It won't surprise me if they do. Transports are coming along with the "Olympic" so having more subs out there is almost a given.

Perhaps there will be a few that are 'universal models' like the Olympic, as it stands durning WWII many of the subs were very very similar across nations due to technology theft and things like that.

Yes please! The Prussians need an Unterseeboot or two, three, four, five, etc.

Lot of them! For now I' m hiring the help of the Black Wolf, but I really hope we (Prussian) will have our own submarines.

Personally I don't want to see every faction getting the exact same fluffy and creative units as I think the variety and faction identity in the game gets diluted that way. Subs for everyone is fine as they are a staple war unit like planes or ships - however rather as Kob has no airships based around the zepplin design I'd be happy for Kob not to have any mechs.

As for releases I suspect Spartan will try to make releases so that whilst they add new factions, the existing ones will get new content as well. At present they've already said that infantry and additional sea transports are on the line for coming out next. I'd also expect to see more releases of land and air units to the existing factions as time goes on -- sea already has a pretty large and varied range of units; whereas land and air are a bit more limited in the scope of what they can field (eg at the moment land has very little heavy anti-air capabilities if one excludes buildings; whilst Kob air forces are lacking in air to air power outside of the merlin.

I too wish that the British had a giant robot but I also have trouble of thinking of what that would be like for the British. It just doesn't seem right for them. "We don't need robots! Send the Landship!"

Subs are a stable but giant robots are not? Wat? How are giant robots not a necessity in a world that has giant death bots?

Because Kob don't need big wibbly wobbly robots - they've got massive tanks with armoured tracks to roll over those weak robots.

Personally, for Kob, I'd love to see some kind of mobile castle structure. Either supported on a series of massive tracks or in the air - however with the look of the French and their much more ornate castle structure appearances they might be the ones to get that over Kob (Kob I think would get a brick - big - heavy - rustic simple and loaded with guns!)

I am holding out for a giant representation of Britannia, complete with a shield that can crush Metzger and throw the flaming wreckage back into the channel!

I would like to see KoB get something else if every faction started to get submarines and don't really expect a giant robot. The idea of an armoured mobile fortress though (larger than a landship) - now, that was a really good idea.

One thing I'd like to see - since air has planes and land has infantry - is speedboat tokens and maybe even a speedboat launcher/hub ship. I say that because the use of speedboat torpedo boats is prevalent in WWII (Unsure if present in WW1 as well). But the idea of small token harrasment ships for fleet actions would be neat. It could also open up some smaller scale battles as an option - one where; say; only ship up to frigate or cruiser in scale were allowed (eg battles in heavily island terrain where the big ships can't get into).

Nazduruk_Bugzappa likes this

One thing I'd like to see - since air has planes and land has infantry - is speedboat tokens and maybe even a speedboat launcher/hub ship.

That sounds like a great idea. Battles over control of a river delta would be perfect with these. You could throw in a harbour, some land units and the KoB's new mobile fort ;) and you'd have a pretty cool little scenario

Currently, for specials, the KoB, EotBS and the RoF (I assume) have subs whilst the PE and CSA have robots.

If the PE & CSA get subs as well then the other three need new specials to make up for it.

SO, my question is: If not giant robotic bulldogs, what should the Brits get ?

Currently, for specials, the KoB, EotBS and the RoF (I assume) have subs whilst the PE and CSA have robots.

The RoF special is the Magenta MKI. The Epaulard fills the corvette role.

One thing I'd like to see - since air has planes and land has infantry - is speedboat tokens and maybe even a speedboat launcher/hub ship. I say that because the use of speedboat torpedo boats is prevalent in WWII (Unsure if present in WW1 as well). But the idea of small token harrasment ships for fleet actions would be neat. It could also open up some smaller scale battles as an option - one where; say; only ship up to frigate or cruiser in scale were allowed (eg battles in heavily island terrain where the big ships can't get into).

Actually, this idea has merit; small, fast torpedo armed craft were created in the 1890's and were seen as a cheap defensive alternative to a battlefleet, an example of "asymetrical warefare." In fact, that is where the Destroyer type came from; they were originally called "Torpedo Boat Destroyers," and their job was to protect the battle line from swarms of small torpedo boats.

As for subs, I think that at the very least the Prussians need one. Not only is one mentioned in the fluff (the surprise attack on London), but the U-boat campaigns of both world wars provide a lot of thematic attachment.

As for subs, I think that at the very least the Prussians need one. Not only is one mentioned in the fluff (the surprise attack on London), but the U-boat campaigns of both world wars provide a lot of thematic attachment.

I am with you on this one Ruckdog. :)

... in keeping with the general Prussian aesthetic of "make it bigger", I suspect a Prussian sub to have at least carrier size.

... in keeping with the general Prussian aesthetic of "make it bigger", I suspect a Prussian sub to have at least carrier size.

With that kind of size you could make it a "Large Amphibious Assault Sub". The idea behind this sub is that it can transport infantry and tanks. When it gets close to the beach it engages its tracked gear for movement upon the beach. Where the front of the sub opens and a squadron of tanks and infantry come pouring out.

Another version of a large capitol class sub is the aircraft carrier sub. When it surfaces it can launch and retrieve TF.

Going in the opposite direction size wise the prussians could have squads of small subs with the "Wolf-pack" MAR. Something similar to the pack hunter MAR.

With that kind of size you could make it a "Large Amphibious Assault Sub". The idea behind this sub is that it can transport infantry and tanks. When it gets close to the beach it engages its tracked gear for movement upon the beach. Where the front of the sub opens and a squadron of tanks and infantry come pouring out.

Another version of a large capitol class sub is the aircraft carrier sub. When it surfaces it can launch and retrieve TF.

Going in the opposite direction size wise the prussians could have squads of small subs with the "Wolf-pack" MAR. Something similar to the pack hunter MAR.

I'm hoping for entirely special fleets for each navy. Skimming french fleets (across the board) submersable british and french fleets, robotic japanese, prussian and american fleets so on and so forth that allow you to run your entire navy as a specialized unit.

I'm also hoping for unaligned versions of each fleet type that can be run by anyone as mercs or something that are nationally identified by their support from nation based ships or not identified as anything but mercenary at all.

Merc/nuteral fleet of all subs.

Robotic mystery fleet

so on and so forth.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.