Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
AVelie

So what is going on?

449 posts in this topic

They can only do one system at a time

halo set everything back

dw 2.5

currently on armada 3.0 with release for xmas season?

hopefullt planetfall 2.0 afterward in the spring with a summer 18 release

Benchpresser likes this

Hi Avelie,

Just to clarify things reference Planetfall and the Kickstarter.

I elected to not include PF in it because, as you all know, we need to seriously improve our efforts for you all when it comes to our ground warfare game and this comes from the 2.0 rules and new models and much more. We need to get you the PF rules PDF this month to evaluate and then move forward with an improved final set of rules for you. If we tried to do that at the same time as FA 3.0 it would have been too much.

So the Kickstarter is therefore built around the work we started last year with FA 3.0. I did consider adding PF products to the KS, such as Pathogen and Saurian Helixes, but I decided I needed to sort the first six factions and rules out before I muddied the waters with new factions on the ground.

With Planetfall I need to deliver the rules out in a format that you are all happy with before I throw new models and factions at you.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Hi Again,

I just wanted to say that I understand that a number of you are frustrated over Planetfall, especially after sinking an investment into the game, and I apologise for causing this frustration and disappointment. Hind sight is a wonderful thing, and looking back taking my foot off the development pedal was a great mistake. We will, however, make up the lost ground.

Once the PF 2,0 rules are with you we will come and talk to you about what models you want next. The game needs to move on with your engagement and blessing.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi @Spartan Neil,

Great to have you posting in this tread! Hindsight being hindsight, due to the lack of support from Spartan Planetfall has failed to take of here locally. Which is really a shame I must say, since I like the models a lot. However, rules wise it needs work. I would really like to feel that we are fighting over important objectives instead of just shooting to kill. Stuff like the +1 to hit rule for stationary vehicles really promotes campy gameplay (and this is coming from a Sorylian player mind you!).

Secondly, I really think you should take another look at the cloak mechanics. I feel (and I played against Relthoza a lot) that this does to much in combination with high DR-levels. 

Finally (for now) I think all factions should get access to skydrop. This is a much to cool mechanic not to distribute along all the factions, some should still be better at it then others though!

Ok so all those shiny deadlines you set before are now off the table? And, again, all we have to do is waiting SG's good will? Will you, just once, respect a commitment you made?

How many times do you think someone can be disappointed and lied to before he just quit with a nice "hey, f**k it, there are tons of other games out there!" ?

1 hour ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hi Again,

I just wanted to say that I understand that a number of you are frustrated over Planetfall, especially after sinking an investment into the game, and I apologise for causing this frustration and disappointment. Hind sight is a wonderful thing, and looking back taking my foot off the development pedal was a great mistake. We will, however, make up the lost ground.

Once the PF 2,0 rules are with you we will come and talk to you about what models you want next. The game needs to move on with your engagement and blessing.

Cheers,

Neil

Keep the helixes

add one of each for the 6 natural allies, and Saurians & pathogens

for the core, release alternative helixes so that there are two for each type 

Hi,

As I posted earlier in this thread, I think it was this thread anyway, the Planetfall PDF will roll out this month. I'd not clarified that in my blog, which led to confusion. We are working to hit the Planetfall rules PDF deadline in August, and that will happen.

Regards,

Neil

Hi Fracas,

We will be keeping the Helixes, that is for certain. The plan is to open up their flexibility by allowing you to choose the models that can insert into them, such as with Core Helixes. Namely the Core needs a Small, Medium and Large Squadron.... and whilst we can offer bundled products to fulfil this, we give you flexibility to choose different models. Now we need to make those alternatives for you.

All the best,

Neil

fracas likes this

I'm deciding on whether to purchase into planetfall or not......I love the minis, but the new rule set worries me. I play relthoza and I have heard that things are rough for them right now. I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens and if Spartan can be relied on to put these things out. No point in buying in if the faction I love isn't fun to play with or if there are excessive delays. 

WestAustralian likes this

Relthoza actually returned to ok status last update. It was the change before that that really hurt.

Well we should see a good glimpse of what is to come before the end of the month. You should not have long to wait.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:02 PM, Spartan Neil said:

We are working to hit the Planetfall rules PDF deadline in August, and that will happen.

indeed we are waiting to see:D

6 hours ago, CoreHunter said:

which was completely pointless major shift in a main faction because of a single broken and still broken rule.

Situation: Focus Fire leads to Relthoza being unduly rewarded for sitting back and shooting instead of advancing to a knife fight (in the developer's opinion).

Question: How do we fix this?

Answers:

A ) Fix Focus Fire (which has all sorts of other problems too)

B ) Ensure Relthoza can't shoot anyone who can't shoot back by removing all long range weaponry with no other adjustments to compensate

C ) Ignore it.  Been like that since release and we're working on new rules anyway.

Out of the options, which one sounds better?  A?  OK, let's do B then.

B was an extreme choice, but I can see the logic in it if only one faction was heavily abusing a rule. Instead of changing core game rules it changed one faction to balance out. It didn't quite work out, but where possible its a lot easier/simpler to change factions than it is to change the games core rules; esp since changing core rules tends to get reserved for edition changes. 

alamo likes this

the removal of focused fire would have not really phased anyone in any significant way other than relthozans. it would not be missed by many and it would not have completely devalued and alienated an entire factions customer player base.

Presidente likes this

it's odd that so many people dislike focused fire, and yet it is persistent in planetfall, and being ported into armada, I try not to be pessimistic, and I haven't yet played with it, so I don't know from experience, but with so much negative feedback on this mechanic, developers should seriously consider if  A. it should stick around for planetfall 2.0, and B. be introduced into other games (armada 3.0)

by most of the community, the answer is no...

i'll hold judgment until I play it, camping will be much harder in armada, as you must move, or spend command pts to stop, but I can still see it being distasteful.

11 hours ago, Overread said:

B was an extreme choice, but I can see the logic in it if only one faction was heavily abusing a rule. Instead of changing core game rules it changed one faction to balance out. It didn't quite work out, but where possible its a lot easier/simpler to change factions than it is to change the games core rules; esp since changing core rules tends to get reserved for edition changes. 

Sorylians have access to far more sources of 40-48" firepower than Relthoza did before their nerf, but because it's "in flavor" (and never mind that in Armada their primary weapons systems share the shortest range bands in the game...with Relthoza among others) and wasn't for Relthoza.  While Relthoza were too strong for a variety of reasons, the response was all wrong.  There were numerous suggestions for fixing Relthoza without completely changing the possible playstyles of a core faction mid-edition.  However, the developers promised minor changes and then chopped everything other than the Leviathan off at the knees if it had range bands that weren't among the shortest in their respective classes (to the point where the "Heavy Support" options had *less* range than the "normal" options in the core helix).

I should have included D, which would be re-balance the faction following one or more of the suggestions on the forums and/or testing results.  That would have obviously taken the most time and effort, and wasn't seriously considered as far as I can tell.

problem being in the test rules released they have improved focus fire and allowed more units access to it as it can now be used on the move. Which is the odd as a good bit of the community seems to want a removed.

But...command points! They'll fix everything (even if we have to tie arbitrary stuff to them to *force* you to buy command points.  It's the new system and you will USE IT!) in the new edition as far as I can tell.  /s

I think they're going to hurt their reputation by ignoring their customer base. I know that I won't be funding any kickstarters or picking up anymore spartan products until I can count on a return to balance. Not perfect balance, but there must be some kind of attempt at it. 

I play Armada and was going to get into planetfall....I'm not interested in Halo or dystopian wars in the least. I also won't be picking up the other firestorm game....I can't recall it's name at the moment. 

I've lost faith in Spartan's ability to meet deadlines and keep their commitments, so I'm just going to hold back on buying anything until they prove me wrong. Even if they never made any new planetfall units, I would buy in (the entire relthoza line, at a minimum) so long as there are decent rules for all the factions. However, if I get tired of waiting or lose interest I'll just take my money to another miniature company (Infinity, Dark Age, etc.). 

alamo likes this

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.