Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Keithandor

Hawk Scouts - Do You Like Them?

51 posts in this topic

I love my hawk scouts!

Only a little expensive than bombers.

But you can take a full squadron of 4

Drop 4 magnetic mines that keep chasing the enemy.

Turrets that are ok up close.

Altitude skimming ? Anyone seen a use for this?

OK , great , now I like them even more.

I assume they can still fire their turrents while alititude skimming ?

Of course they can. They only need to be at an all stop and obscured.

sit on All-stop, while obscured.

drop mines.

move the mines around, knowing the enemy has to close to within 8" to damage your Hawks, dropping more mines each turn

Brilliant, I did not see this tactic.

It all becomes clear to me now! I was bemoaning their relative weakness the other day but you could just bother with the hover instead!

They also have good AP for KoB so 4 can mount a serious boarding threat to an enemy BB for example. But leave them exposed and they go down really easily!

you cant fire while obscured if you fire you are no longer obscured at least thats how I always thought it was as soon as you fire you are no longer obscured so any one who activates after you fire your scouts can shoot at you freely unless you can swift accent

and no have never found a good use for the hawks the bombers are better

you cant fire while obscured if you fire you are no longer obscured at least thats how I always thought it was as soon as you fire you are no longer obscured so any one who activates after you fire your scouts can shoot at you freely unless you can swift accent

This is incorrect. You can fire while obscured, you just need a 6 to hit.

Mr Evil likes this

Hawks are still short ranged and expensive, the five points discount helps, but doesnt go far enough, as do the mobile mines, but all told the sit and lurk tactic is marginally effective at best. Hawks lack any significant firepower for their price, furthermore they lack range.

If you want to see how nasty altitude skimming really gets, try an Inari, the inclusion of rockets makes all the difference. A parked up Hawk squadron is ignored, parked up Inari squadron cant be, they are too damn dangerous.

Yes I like them. However when I use them I start adding Dreadnoughts to my fleet which I didnt start with. I like my freinds more. (Also I know how this sounds considing how meny DD I can deploy but my freinds prefer them to my hawks so who am I to disagree.)

DD means destroyers, DN means dreadnaughts (actually in real life dreadnaughts are just a subclass of battleship and thus BB)

I've been using the squadrons of 4 cloud skimming regularly and they are very effective. You can sit where you like and keep dropping those mines to control zones of the table and throw out pot shots - they even make a good charging unit when you remove the all stop and rush an enemy vessel there is a good chance of overwhelming it with your British Marines!

I'm still really not sold on these guys. Their gun is weak as all get-out, and being passive aggressive with mines is an invitation for your enemy to just ignore you and let you tie up 280 points not doing much. I can see how they'd be useful in a scenario game where board control is more important, but in regular games, I'm just not seeing it. I really can't think of a situation in which 240 points of Agincourts won't be much more useful than 280 points of Hawks.

The best argument I can see for them is the boarding rush, but even that's a gamble, and I'm not a fan of spending that big a chunk of my 1k on something that may or may not pan out. If I'm dropping 280 points, I want it to reliably get things done. Hawks are still very expensive for a fragile, situational unit.

The best argument I can see for them is the boarding rush, but even that's a gamble, and I'm not a fan of spending that big a chunk of my 1k on something that may or may not pan out. If I'm dropping 280 points, I want it to reliably get things done. Hawks are still very expensive for a fragile, situational unit.

I wouldn't say 20AP from 4 models (something that favors boarding because of AA and AP allocation) is a Gamble.

I wouldn't say 20AP from 4 models (something that favors boarding because of AA and AP allocation) is a Gamble.

Really? I certainly would. You're assuming you don't lose one or more Hawks en route, which is not a given since they're very fragile. You're assuming you have a likely boarding target available at the end of that which you can overwhelm with 20AP, which is expensive enough to make up for the 280 points you're spending on your boarding platform. You're assuming the boarding rush goes as planned, which for any reasonably expensive target is not exactly a given. That's enough assumptions to qualify for 'gamble' in my books.

20AP is great. 280 points that won't be doing a whole lot else but give you 20AP (if everything goes according to plan) is less great, especially given the alternatives I could be spending 280 points on.

Don't get me wrong, Hawks aren't awful (anymore). They're just very expensive for what you get, and anytime I field them I always find myself wondering whether I'd have been better off spending the points on something else.

I think of them as sitting back on the periphery waiting to pounce on that softened Dreadnought or Battleship. Nothing would give me greater joy than taking a CoA DN from my club member with a scout squad. The amount of grief he would receive would be epic.

I think of them as sitting back on the periphery waiting to pounce on that softened Dreadnought or Battleship. Nothing would give me greater joy than taking a CoA DN from my club member with a scout squad. The amount of grief he would receive would be epic.

I did it.

Feels like GOD.

I did it.

Feels like GOD.

It's right along the same line as watching my squadrons of Vanguards make our local CoA player never want to teleport his battleship onto my half of the table again.

It's right along the same line as watching my squadrons of Vanguards make our local CoA player never want to teleport his battleship onto my half of the table again.

my Lee scoutships made my opponent have second thoughts on that tactic too (dropping some of his AP with sharpshooters helped too)

I don't rate Hawks. Thats not to say they can't perform well, they just arn't worth their points compared to the other options out there. As a boarding threat they are good but way to expensive. They outright waste points on the altitude skimming MAR which is nigh on meaningless for them as they have such a weak main gun (which can fire 360 anyway so being able to rotate on the spot is irrelevant). They have nice mine laying abilities but these don't really synergies with their boarding function, 5HP is better than 4 but being up in the air with nowhere to hide (except the clouds which hampers you more than your opponents) means if your opponent wants to kill one or two before they reach their boarding target he probably will.

Its a shame because I'd really like to see a good (not great but good) affordable boarding option in the KoB list, but I don't think Hawks as they are now are it. Your just much better off to get a Dread or a squadron of Gunships and blast your opponent from range.

I have been using a unit of 3.

I have found that dropping 3 magnetic mines a turn is very handy.

Magnetic mines are hard for the enemy to avoid and they can do some damage , no one wants to run into my mines.

So while the scouts are expensive, I think the 5 Hit points , the turrets and the mines all add up to a very handy unit , I haven't tried a boarding action with them yet.

I don't rate Hawks. Thats not to say they can't perform well, they just arn't worth their points compared to the other options out there. As a boarding threat they are good but way to expensive. They outright waste points on the altitude skimming MAR which is nigh on meaningless for them as they have such a weak main gun (which can fire 360 anyway so being able to rotate on the spot is irrelevant). They have nice mine laying abilities but these don't really synergies with their boarding function, 5HP is better than 4 but being up in the air with nowhere to hide (except the clouds which hampers you more than your opponents) means if your opponent wants to kill one or two before they reach their boarding target he probably will.

Its a shame because I'd really like to see a good (not great but good) affordable boarding option in the KoB list, but I don't think Hawks as they are now are it. Your just much better off to get a Dread or a squadron of Gunships and blast your opponent from range.

The tactic that I have used is to move them dead ahead in a wide spread to lay mines, going to an all stop and obscured as they do. If enemy ships come close, about face to point bombs towards the path the ship wants to take using manueverable and if an expensive ship gets damaged, remove all stop and get ready to play ride of the valkyries. Hawks are best against fleets with large numbers of smalls and smaller numbers of larges and carriers which seem to be popular among other brits and the japanese.

With the new deployment rules........magnetic mines near the centre of the board from turn one.......altitude skimming near the centre of the board.........nice.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.