Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Keithandor

Hawk Scouts - Do You Like Them?

51 posts in this topic

With the new deployment rules........magnetic mines near the centre of the board from turn one.......altitude skimming near the centre of the board.........nice.

Exactly, small vessel formations break like waves on cement.

If it works I'm all for giving it a try. The fragility of the Hawk will still mean I need real convincing but the altitude skimming tactic is well worth a try.

Parking and dropping a squadron-load of mines every turn seems more of a distraction since the oncoming ships can depth charge them. Though, I suppose there's going to be one or two that slip through, but is it worth all that effort? Or is it more valuable as a red herring?

Now running up the table at 10" a turn, obscured and dropping the mines directly on top of squadrons of smalls and even some mediums...that's a good time had by all but your opponent. :)

Parking and dropping a squadron-load of mines every turn seems more of a distraction since the oncoming ships can depth charge them. Though, I suppose there's going to be one or two that slip through, but is it worth all that effort? Or is it more valuable as a red herring?

Now running up the table at 10" a turn, obscured and dropping the mines directly on top of squadrons of smalls and even some mediums...that's a good time had by all but your opponent. :)

I agree with you here Cambrius - I don't tend to like any model doing any kind of 'Stop' manoeuvre during a game as (1) they can be flanked while still, or if a naval vessel rammed or boarded, and (2) they lack any mobility of their own for the sake of their own threat to the enemy. Hawks that are obscured and dropping mines while moving have lost nothing in dropping those mines and can very quickly move into position.

The problem - which Nail hit on is that they are too expensive, poorly armed otherwise and fragile - although you would lose out on the useful mines, taking non capital class Doncasters instead means more models and better firepower for taking out small vessels.

Other reasons - i.e. they are spotters - could make them viable - and I have had a game or two where they have been of some service in this regard. My main problem is their designation - as scouts - where they are often in front of your lines, exposed and eminently hittable. Better to have them flanking but their speed married to their weak guns and weak armour makes them a bit of a pariah when it comes to selection.

That said - I would still like to find a use for these lovely models!

No, but mines operate on volume of.fire. if I drop 4 5ad mines on four frigates, each frigate takes 4 5ad attacks(assuming a tight packed formation), hitting on 4s. That's going to hurt. Even if you only.get one or two in each explosion that's a lot of attack rolls.

Correct, you just have to hope for a good roll.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that they are also, like bombs, unaffected or negate the use of shield generators on a ship?

Am I right or wrong in thinking that they are also, like bombs, unaffected or negate the use of shield generators on a ship?

Also yes, they are not listed in the group of items that a shield can protect against.

Am I right, that deploying a mine is not an attack and so the Hawks would not suffer from defensive AA while dropping mines directly over targets?

Am I right, that deploying a mine is not an attack and so the Hawks would not suffer from defensive AA while dropping mines directly over targets?

If the mine detonates from being dropped on a vessel then the mine counts as an attack. If the mine is just sitting there and then the ships activate and it explodes, then it does not count as an attack.

If you drop the mine next to the ship it does not explode straight away.This is not an attack and does not suffer defensive AA.

The mine will attack when the ship moves next or in the end phase when the magnetic mine moves.

Thank you. I checked in my rule book, did not find anything but then found an official Statement of SG in the rules Forum.

Using Hawks in the Advance Force and therefore having them 8" short of the centre of the board does work in their favour, I'm still not sure it makes sense to all stop and obscure, its worth trying but I there gun is so weak even with normal to hit numbers they are poor let alone needing 6s. A smart opponent will just go around them and laughing as you have tied up a dreadnoughts worth of points.

But it will be interesting to try out some of these tactics, I'll also be dusting off my Vanguards in the hope they might gain some more usefulness being deployed forward (although it would mean needing them in addition to a core medium which makes it somewhat less attractive).

Using Hawks in the Advance Force and therefore having them 8" short of the centre of the board does work in their favour, I'm still not sure it makes sense to all stop and obscure, its worth trying but I there gun is so weak even with normal to hit numbers they are poor let alone needing 6s. A smart opponent will just go around them and laughing as you have tied up a dreadnoughts worth of points.

But it will be interesting to try out some of these tactics, I'll also be dusting off my Vanguards in the hope they might gain some more usefulness being deployed forward (although it would mean needing them in addition to a core medium which makes it somewhat less attractive).

At least, for mediums, they are cheep.

NairoD likes this

At least, for mediums, they are cheep.

You are referring to the Vanguards here (55 points) as opposed to the Hawks (75 points) I believe?

You are referring to the Vanguards here (55 points) as opposed to the Hawks (75 points) I believe?

Which is another question...the stat cards have the Hawk at 75pts., but the 1.1 rulebook shows them as 70pts?

Which is another question...the stat cards have the Hawk at 75pts., but the 1.1 rulebook shows them as 70pts?

Right, now their point cost is 70.

Yeah they have been 70 since 1.1 came in, but I don't think that alone makes them worth taking, your still talking more than the cost of a dreadnought for a full squadron of 4 which is just crazy given how little firepower and survivability they have.

I would rather they had 6ap each and max squadron size of 3 if they are meant as boarders, or they needed to be cheaper.

That said they may be better with the advance deployment rule in Hurricane season as starting the game 8" from the midline saves them a turn of movement. But they still look to be very expensive to me, not useless but I always find myself thinking I could get so much other stuff with all those points.

Yeah they have been 70 since 1.1 came in, but I don't think that alone makes them worth taking, your still talking more than the cost of a dreadnought for a full squadron of 4 which is just crazy given how little firepower and survivability they have.

I would rather they had 6ap each and max squadron size of 3 if they are meant as boarders, or they needed to be cheaper.

That said they may be better with the advance deployment rule in Hurricane season as starting the game 8" from the midline saves them a turn of movement. But they still look to be very expensive to me, not useless but I always find myself thinking I could get so much other stuff with all those points.

Competitively - if you were playing in a tournament game or similar - you would never dream of taking something that ties up so many points for such little return - so CoreDave - spot on above! They might be better in that advanced position but are pretty much an expensive gamble getting in and trying to board a ship which has not been pounded by the remainder of the KoB fleet first to soften up up AA. If the feeling is "I could get better stuff for the points" - which I reckon it is - then maybe the way to use this vessel which looks great by the way, might be to have themed skirmish games against other nations' scout fliers. I could see their role on the periphery of a major engagement - flying ahead and scouting the enemy fleet out - but almost feel they would need their own scenario for this.

Also remember that the Bomber's torpedoes are worthless against land based models. So if I want to field an Air Force against a Land army you don't really have a choice about taking Hawks.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.