Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruckdog

Exploding Dice Radio: Episode 4 is Live!

23 posts in this topic

Greetings fellow Spartan Games fans! I'm proud to announce the start of a new podcast that focuses on the various Spartan product lines, called Exploding Dice Radio. The show is co-hosted by myself and Spartan Linde, and is a part of the Freebooters Network. You can listen to our very first episode here:

http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2017/03/13/exploding-dice-radio-episode-1/

In this first episode, Josh and I give a quick introduction to ourselves and the show, and then give a brief rundown of the various games Spartan produces with the latest announcements for each. Thanks for listening!

Ok, disclaimer here, I've had a few beers, so if anything I say seems overly harsh, that means I'm just being really, really, REAAAALLY honest with you.

1. If you're going to make this a regular thing, re-do your opening spiel so your mic doesn't clip, it doesn't create a professional feel. I almost turned it off before you actually started talking about anything of substance.

2. I'd suggest having a more specific focus per episode than "all things Spartan", because you'll wind up hitting a bunch of stuff you can't talk about (playtesting, and so forth). Go deeper into one or two topics at a time, and it'll pay you dividends. 

3. Get guest speakers. Having the same people (and therefore the same frame of opinion) on all the time, while fine for the first episode, will get stilted more quickly than you'd expect, particularly if you're maintaining a very general topic spread as in this episode.

Zeph and Ruckdog like this

I don't think that was overly harsh Flamebeast!

Pretty fair criticism and pointers I'd say, and probably what I'd suggest too. As I think I did on FB somewhere.

Zeph and Ruckdog like this

4 hours ago, Flamebeast said:

Ok, disclaimer here, I've had a few beers, so if anything I say seems overly harsh, that means I'm just being really, really, REAAAALLY honest with you.

1. If you're going to make this a regular thing, re-do your opening spiel so your mic doesn't clip, it doesn't create a professional feel. I almost turned it off before you actually started talking about anything of substance.

2. I'd suggest having a more specific focus per episode than "all things Spartan", because you'll wind up hitting a bunch of stuff you can't talk about (playtesting, and so forth). Go deeper into one or two topics at a time, and it'll pay you dividends. 

3. Get guest speakers. Having the same people (and therefore the same frame of opinion) on all the time, while fine for the first episode, will get stilted more quickly than you'd expect, particularly if you're maintaining a very general topic spread as in this episode.

First off, thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to give us some substantive comments. To address the points you brought up:

1. My apologies, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you have a time hack where you noticed the issue so I can narrow in on it? If you are referring to the short introduction that was done before our opening (the sound of the dice rolling, the explosion, and the music), I'll have to pass your comment along to Devrim at the Freebooters Network who records and edits that bit.

2. Very good point, and it's something that Josh and I have discussed during the planning for the show. Our format is set up to have two main segments, and by and large our intention is to devote each of the main segments to a single Spartan system, allowing us to do detailed coverage on two systems each episode. We are also going to do our best to make sure that we don't cover the same two systems in back to back episodes. For example, if we do segments on FSA and DW one month, the next month we will chance up at least one or both of the systems, such as DW and HFB. In this respect, Episode 1 was unusual as it was our into episode. Episode 2 is also going to be a bit different since we plan on using one of the segments to do an Adepticon event report! Things should settle down in Ep 3.

3. Another very good point, and this is something we definitely plan on doing. I meant to make this clear during our first segment when I discussed the show's format, but we definitely want to bring in skilled players in different systems as they come up in the rotation. In addition to fresh viewpoints, as we talked about in our personal intros neither Josh or I are what you would call experts in every Spartan system, so we will need all the help we can get! ;)

Zeph and Flamebeast like this

2 hours ago, Flamebeast said:

@Ruckdog - the clipping I'm talking about is between 00:25 and 00:45, and it is Devrim's section - just needs to take the gain on the mic down a little.

Got it! I'll let him know.

Quite interesting. Having Mr. Linde out there and discussing things restores some of my hope in things around here.

Hey all! I just wanted to give you a quick update on Episode 2. Due to pesky "real life" getting in the way, Josh and I didn't record until last Tuesday, a few days later than we had hoped. However, Episode 2 is "in the can" as far as we are concerned; it has been recorded, edited, and submitted to the Freebooters Network, and I'm told that it should go up early next week, probably Monday or Tuesday. 

WestAustralian likes this

14 hours ago, Sebenko said:

please work on that background noise. I could barely hear the podcast under all the popping and clicking and tapping.

Thanks for the feedback! Josh and I will try to work on that in the future. 

Sounds like someone is having a... crisis at the mention of the CoA sub's long lance.

Serious feedback, the sound quality is much better this time around, no more pop & crackle. Much more listenable.

Ruckdog likes this

Episode 4 is live!

http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2017/06/27/exploding-dice-radio-episode-4/

In Episode 4 of EDR, Andy and Josh take a step back from Dystopian Wars to discuss Firestorm Armada as well as Halo Fleet Battles and Halo Ground Command! In the first segment, Andy talks to Josh about how the development of Firestorm Armada 3.0 is coming along. In segment two, Andy and Josh are joined by Spartan Vanguards Doug and Vincent to talk some Halo.

On 5/28/2017 at 4:44 AM, Sebenko said:

Sounds like someone is having a... crisis at the mention of the CoA sub's long lance.

Serious feedback, the sound quality is much better this time around, no more pop & crackle. Much more listenable.

Thanks! I hope we can continue the positive trend ;)

tansalus likes this