kosh127

What are you hoping for next?

33 posts in this topic

And since the scale does seem to be growing a bit I would suggest something that they were originally straying away from as one of those 4 posts I've made were about artillery. I had mention that a Kodiak would be really fun and I stand by that statement. I would LOVE to see a kodiak but of course the big ticket item I think everyone wants to see is a Scarab. They've already said they really want to do that though.

I could see them adding off map artillery strikes to the game, not sure if the current playing fields are large enough to have artillery able to be used effectively.

It would be cool if they added Reach style artillery to the game. For a price you can equip say a Spartan with a laser designator that can call in artillery 

Other than to use as scenery pieces, on table artillery has no place. Even in a game like Flames of War, which does have the artillery, there is no place for having the models on the table....the field of battle is still too small to even have mortars on table. I agree that artillery strikes would be a nice addition but they don't need models. That said the models would excellent scenery that would be great to build a variety of scenarios around.

Mighty_moose likes this

59 minutes ago, BlitzRS said:

Other than to use as scenery pieces, on table artillery has no place. Even in a game like Flames of War, which does have the artillery, there is no place for having the models on the table....the field of battle is still too small to even have mortars on table. I agree that artillery strikes would be a nice addition but they don't need models. That said the models would excellent scenery that would be great to build a variety of scenarios around.

Could go the same route as they have with the Pelican and now the Longsword and have artillery as something that doesn't need the actual model, just a card silhouette but the model is there should you want to buy one. 

Thetobyn likes this

The silhouette makes sense for aircraft as in most cases it is very conceivable (or actual depending on the combat mission) that they pass directly over the field of battle.

But artillery is largely static, it's doing it's job many miles behind the frontline. The troops on the receiving end never see the guns actually firing on them. The only people that see them are the troops manning the guns and maybe the recon and strike aircraft sent to deal with them. Unless you are totally overrun, as the frontline moves, the guns reposition accordingly.

Artillery would make lovely themed terrain, but I personally don't think it has any real place to be put in the game as actual combat units. I for one would much rather see Spartan focus on getting more of the frontline combat units (including close support fliers like the Banshee).

1 minute ago, BlitzRS said:

The silhouette makes sense for aircraft as in most cases it is very conceivable (or actual depending on the combat mission) that they pass directly over the field of battle.

I meant more along the lines of a template for the actual shots coming in, like a firing overlay, similar to what is used in warhammer

What do I want to see next? Same as I wanted to see last time...Falcons and Banshees plus Grunts and Drones....oh and the different force organisations.

6 hours ago, BlitzRS said:

But artillery is largely static, it's doing it's job many miles behind the frontline. The troops on the receiving end never see the guns actually firing on them. The only people that see them are the troops manning the guns and maybe the recon and strike aircraft sent to deal with them. Unless you are totally overrun, as the frontline moves, the guns reposition accordingly.

Artillery would make lovely themed terrain, but I personally don't think it has any real place to be put in the game as actual combat units. I for one would much rather see Spartan focus on getting more of the frontline combat units (including close support fliers like the Banshee).

I half agree but if we do end up in larger games and eventually field a scarab then artillery will eventually have a place, as it stands the game is still very small scale skirmishes but they always said from the beggining that we can play the wars we get off screen and they are huge planet busting grudge matches with so many larger units i think the game will develop inyo that larger scale with longer mission types and larger armys and units, with that you get larger boards then artillery will have its place