Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Skyhawk

Improving Taskforce

42 posts in this topic

I had this post all typed out all ready to go, And then it didn't LOAD! BAHHHH!!!

As I really don't want to type it all again I shall sum it up. 

What are your opinions on AD degradation? Should the 1 ad lost for every 2 hp lost be used? Should it go to dice loss instead of success loss?

What about defense degradation? If not done correctly you could end up without defenses period.

I had an idea about disorder removal. Insead of bidding why not make it to were you roll a dice for disorder removal. Basically experienced engineers for everyone. But make experienced engineers were you roll 2 dice instead. 

Thoughts?

Pathogen likes this

Also,

Shots from the rear arc should be +1 on the damage table. And where the heck are asteroids LOL!

......Pathogen need task force rules........

18 hours ago, Skyhawk said:

What are your opinions on AD degradation? Should the 1 ad lost for every 2 hp lost be used? Should it go to dice loss instead of success loss?

As an optional rule, yes. One for one works well enough. I much prefer pool reduction (with 1AD/PD per system minimum) as opposed to success reduction.

What about defense degradation? If not done correctly you could end up without defenses period.

As stated above, 1PD minimum.

I had an idea about disorder removal. Insead of bidding why not make it to were you roll a dice for disorder removal. Basically experienced engineers for everyone. But make experienced engineers were you roll 2 dice instead. 

Actually, I like the current method, a quick mini game of risk/reward. This being said, I would make Initiative rolls like FA, rather than the Light dice mechanic as it is.

1 hour ago, Pathogen said:

Shots from the rear arc should be +1 on the damage table.

Agreed.

And where the heck are asteroids LOL!

Debris fields and Asteroids are the same thing in TF, Pg 12.

......Pathogen need task force rules........Agreed:D

On 5/8/2017 at 11:16 PM, Skyhawk said:

I like rolling lots of dice, personally. I don't know enough about the math to know how much of a difference it makes doing it one way or the other. In FSA, reducing dicepools requires an extra step of math that's not necessary in taskforce, so I didn't see it making a particular difference in speed of play here.

I know some people don't like success loss, but I think it at least gives you a chance to get successes whereas with dice loss you would have no dice at all. Just my opinion. 

I don't know why they didn't add Pathogen into Taskforce.

I think destroyers should have an mar that allows them to be at fullstop and rotate. 

Pathogen likes this

1 hour ago, Skyhawk said:

I think destroyers should have an mar that allows them to be at fullstop and rotate. 

Does Task Force even have fullstop? I figured they took that ability away because they took away fullstop as an option. Still, at least it's not as bad as when they first released the destroyers: They needed to be fullstop to benefit from their defensive MAR, but the Terran and Dindrenzi destroyers had fixed fore firing arcs so they couldn't even fire in an arc. They were totally useless. 

@Ghost Stepper Buckets of Dice Rule!

i don't think I really mind where the Degradation happens. I suppose it feels worse to have a success taken away, but it really doesn't make much difference. 

Absolutely Full Stop is needed. Stationary is a relative term, but this is only a game. So let destroyers and torpedo boats sit still 

Dont worry @Skyhawk. Pathogen will make an appearance in TF2/FSA3/PF2 (had to list them all). I think Pathogen is getting a full redevelopment, which is awesome. 

Pathogen likes this

For anyone interested in my aforementioned home brew damage table, and I've uploaded it into its own thread. Spoiler alert: I'm very pleased with how it plays. Hopefully yinz will try it out and let me know what you think.

Skyhawk and Pathogen like this

I will be more than happy to try it out  and give you my thoughts on it. Thankyou for posting it.

I dont like the idea for a complete new damage Table:
The old one is straight ahead!

You could throw 2d6 +/- Modificator and have a result.
higher = BAD
lower = GOOD

So you could easily use rules to modify the results. If the
7 (most rolled dice result) is the badest throw, its hard
to modify it. You cant add just 1 for a higher (negativ) result.

And I like the situations: i (attacker) want to get a high result, my buddy wants a low result.
Maybe I can force him to reroll his dice for a better outcome. Its always like a little Duell in itself.

2 hours ago, freak83 said:
I dont like the idea for a complete new damage Table:
The old one is straight ahead!

You could throw 2d6 +/- Modificator and have a result.
higher = BAD
lower = GOOD

So you could easily use rules to modify the results. If the
7 (most rolled dice result) is the badest throw, its hard
to modify it. You cant add just 1 for a higher (negativ) result.

And I like the situations: i (attacker) want to get a high result, my buddy wants a low result.
Maybe I can force him to reroll his dice for a better outcome. Its always like a little Duell in itself.

Well, in my table I tried to maintain that duel aspect - none of those rules changed. I just take exception with the swinginess of the original table. Personally, I don't think you should be able to deal 5 or 6 damage for exceeding DR 1 time. I also think the Damage/Disorder binary is less than ideal. The Dystopian Wars chart posted above has results where you generate one of each, and I think that's a good way to moderately step up the lethality of a hit, without going straight to 2 or 3 dmg. However, if you have a rules adjustment that made the current table better, I'd gladly try it out.

Pathogen and WestAustralian like this

Hej Ghost!

I read your table and i think its very interesting. I couldnt test it but i will give it a go in the next days.
My (theoretical) main problem: you need 21(!) hits to tripple a DR7 Ship. Still 15 for a DR5 Ship.
So its very hard to damage them and you need some high damage at the end of a normal table. 

I think one problem with the actual damage table is: if a ship has some damage, it is often useless.
So you have to do something against that.

One thing Im testing right now:

Change the effect from damage and disorder!

Why?

Fluff:
A damaged ship is weaker against another attack. The hullstructur is weaker and so on...
A confused crew cant work effectivly so its hard to shoot for them.

Game:
Now its getting interesting. A damaged ship is weaker so another shoot will take it more down.
The shield or PD is getting  -1 for every damaged marker. So it will be soon destroyed.

But

The ship is not useless: it can shoot back. It may get -1 for every disorder marker but you can
remove them at the end of the turn to bring the ship back for some action until it is completly destroyed -> avoiding zombie ships.

So in conclusion: ships are easier to destroy but they wouldnt become useless. A Tier 2 ship with Attack -3 is flying zombie.
Its a little tweak but it changes so much in game... 

Pathogen likes this

On ‎19‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 4:08 PM, CoreHunter said:

This has almost zero effect on non shield units

Yes. As Confused Marker now have a zero effect against non SHIELD units. 

In a match between Dindrenzi and Syndicate -> confused marker were completly useless. Syndicate shoots only RED
Dindrenzi have no SHIELD. And too many INTERCEPTORS -> so boarding was no option -> confused = zero effect.

RED have the highest dice value. 17 dice against low (1, 2 or 3) SHIELD. 
BLUE have a low dice value. 5 dice against high (4) DP.

So confused had almost no effect. Boarding? To many Interceptors. Blue weapons are ineffective (low dicethrow against high DP). 

So we need a little tweak here: 

Maybe, DP defends against RED Weapons and SHIELD against BLUE Weapons.
Now we have a high dicethrow (RED) against high DP and with my other rule tweak, damage marker will have an effect.
And we a have a low dicethrow against a low SHIELD. 

On 05/19/17 at 7:41 AM, freak83 said:

Now its getting interesting. A damaged ship is weaker so another shoot will take it more down.
The shield or PD is getting  -1 for every damaged marker. So it will be soon destroyed.

I am not entirely sure how your idea will work. However I am open to new ideas let us know how well it works. 

On 05/20/17 at 1:40 PM, freak83 said:

Maybe, DP defends against RED Weapons and SHIELD against BLUE Weapons.
Now we have a high dicethrow (RED) against high DP and with my other rule tweak, damage marker will have an effect.
And we a have a low dicethrow against a low SHIELD.

Not every fleet has shielding though. Doing that could make certain races very vulnerable to nuclear torpedos. I am not trying to be mean, but I am afraid that this will create balancing issues. Besides ships with shields often have less Damage rating than ship without shields.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.