Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Charbe86

Realism and Fluff issues

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, WestAustralian said:

Yes a ship does have to use thrusters. You would be hard pressed to find anything other than a rear thruster on these Miniatures. No wonder they can't turn properly. Also it is no harder to gyroscopically rotate an object in zero-g than it is to spin it  

My problem with movement in FSA, TF and PF. It is restrictive not simple. Players spend ages trying to line things up. 

No harder but the thrusters have to be in the right place

WestAustralian likes this

But none of the miniatures have forward or side thrusters. Sure they could have tiny manoeuvring thrusters for delicate docking and orbital correction. But for turning they need big thrusters on the Front and Sides. Directional Facing and Relative Plane would be done with Gyroscopes not Thrusters.

Ideally a Gravitational Wave Generator in a Spherical ship would be used

The omnidyne ring is like a fan thruster and can be switched from forward to reverse, as well as swivel?

On 13/05/2017 at 9:37 PM, Stoobert said:

@Oppi explanations are interesting, but to me they do not hold water, especially about the belly up.  There are many ships that do not have the shape you mention: Directorate, Kendorian, and virtually all Relthoza.

...and thus was born the idea of movement profiles based on the shape of the miniatures. :P

Handwave: The beefy maneuvering thrusters on big ships are hidden by large folding armor plates until in use--this retains maximum defensive coverage throughout its 'fighting angles' when they are not actively maneuvering the ship. Aquans probably would benefit most from also covering their main engine cones, but maybe that isn't practical or cost-effective.

On 13.5.2017 at 9:37 PM, Stoobert said:

@Oppi explanations are interesting, but to me they do not hold water, especially about the belly up.  There are many ships that do not have the shape you mention: Directorate, Kendorian, and virtually all Relthoza.

Directorate ships actually do have that shape. Yes, they're flat, but they still have one long axis. The second part of my answer to that is more important though. All the ships (even Kedorian have a small standard movement value) move in one direction along an axis aligned with their main drive (unless at full stop). Accelerating the ship on a different axis (turning) causes g forces that are larger the faster the ship flies and the smaller the radius of the turn is. The ship's structure can't take unlimited g-forces, that results in turn limits. The forces resulting from rolling around the central axis are smaller and don't stress the ship's structure nearly as much (constant fast rotation is actually used to stabilize projectiles and rockets, but you wouldn't think that the same object could turn on the spot without breaking).

What about the rest "doesn't hold water" ? Lighter ships will be more maneuverable, that's a fact. Space used for anti cap ship weapons can't be used for PD weapons. That's a fact. Different nations even on earth use(d) different standard procedures and organize(d) their soldiers differently (the german "Zug" doesn't have the same number of soldiers as it's counterpart, the american "platoon" for example, at least according to wikipedia), so why would you think that stellar empires with far larger differences in their cultures and traditions wouldn't ?

Regarding realism of boarding...frankly, I find sending humans in tiny ships at targets equipped to kill multiple, much faster torpedoes inhuman, but I guess it's a way to get rid of dissenters and political enemies if you somehow have them all on one ship. There is no way in hell a craft designed to carry soft, squishy water-bags will be able to get past PD designed to counter missiles which are designed to close with target as fast as possible without worrying about turning their crews into sandwich spread.

Presidente likes this

Yeh cause these systems work all the time...Even after the ship is shot to that hell you mentioned and has the PD of a Rubber Duck in a Lava pond. 

Cant say my PD has stopped more than Half the Torpedoes shot at them. Systems get overwhelmed when you throw Main Weapons, Torpedoes, Bombers, Breaching Pods all at once.

I would see fighter/bomber/interceptor pilots getting killed just as fast, but most seem OK with that. I assume that Robotics would be a better solution 

On 17/05/2017 at 9:07 AM, Pok said:

There is no way in hell a craft designed to carry soft, squishy water-bags will be able to get past PD designed to counter missiles which are designed to close with target as fast as possible without worrying about turning their crews into sandwich spread.

Unless we assume some sort of techno-babble like acceleration dampers/g-force compensators/gravity insolators/... which, given the sort of "technology" already present in the Firestorm galaxy (gravity weapons) as well as some of the ship designs, do not seem out of place to me. Quite the contrary, to be honest.

I assume that spaceships have artificial gravity. Therefore if a ship has its own gravity you shouldn't feel the affects of you maneuvers. It is not like an airplane were your affected by a planets gravity. But rather you are being affected by the vehicle's gravity. 

39 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

I assume that spaceships have artificial gravity. Therefore if a ship has its own gravity you shouldn't feel the affects of you maneuvers. It is not like an airplane were your affected by a planets gravity. But rather you are being affected by the vehicle's gravity. 

I think you are thinking of inertia dampeners 

1 hour ago, fracas said:

I think you are thinking of inertia dampeners 

Inertial dampeners, Compensators, Artifical gravity. Yah thats what I am talking about.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.