Bazlord

Which Factions for Tricksy Play?

19 posts in this topic

TL;DR - which are the tricksiest Factions in DW, having good internal synergies, "sideways" strategies, or oddball (but usable) units?

Hey all! I'm looking to get back into DW, but I don't have a lot of opportunity to play games, proxy models and test out the Factions, but i do have a growing desire to purchase and paint the "right" fleet (for me), in preparation for the odd game.

I've applied The Rule of Cool filter, and have found that the Nations for which I most like the models are:

- Honourable Eclipse Company

- Covenant of Antarctica

- Black Wolf

- Indian Raj

- Polish & Lithuanian Commonwealth

My main game lately has been Malifaux, in which inter-unit synergies are a big thing, and I quite like that aspect of it. Certain models boost other ones up, or prepare the ground for attacks that come later - that kind of thing. I find it gives me a deeper interest in the game, and lets me try to pull off ridiculous combos, which - I have to admit - I absolutely get a kick out of trying to do. Trying, that is ;-)

Could you fine gentlepeople please give me your opinions on which Nation's forces you think offer the most scope for Tricksy, and how the more abstract plays in DW might look? And particularly with reference to the five forces above. I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!!

I dont think any fleet really have true Trixie tactics. the closest things i think would be Wave lurking which is annoying. BUT there is always hit and run. that can open up a lot of cool tactics like moving, shooting then hiding behind another model or island as a way of damage mitigation. i think Italy works well for that. 

Bazlord likes this

Covenant. Especially since in the new edition, their carriers and drones are supposed to run on a system of proximity buffs, which will hopefully add to their pre-existing synergy abilities. Lots of their models apply buffs to other nearby models (E.g., the Descartes MkII adds extra boarding power to nearby models), they have a proliferation of target painters that can apply an effect to enemy models making them easier for your fleet to hit, they have wave lurkers that let you partially submerge models to make them harder to hit, there are a good portion of their models that have hit and run, and quite a lot of their flyers have 360 move, often in addition to hit and run. They even have a teleporter generator that opens portals to move your models across the board. They are by a wide margin the tricksiest fleet.

Bazlord and BuckDharma like this

5 hours ago, Sebenko said:

Covenant...They are by a wide margin the tricksiest fleet.

Bazlord Says:

Thanks guys - the Covenant's buffing, teleporting etc sounds like a winner. I also like the idea of long-ranged engagements, and i think the CoA fit that too. Shame the PA weapons have lost that, but the new Blast version should make for some fun brawling.

I've actually got one of the original Italian Support boxes, but i never really warmed to the models. The Uccisore I love, but they a fleet do not make ;-)

Edited by Bazlord
Ineptitude

cant wait for my kickstarter LoC boats.

1 hour ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Another "tricksy" faction is the League of Crimson, for :ph34r: ...reasons... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, McKinstry said:

Agree on the COA as the tricksy bunch. Call'em what you will but they are Eldar/Elves/any variety of tricksy twits. 

Except we're fun and slightly mad, unlike those knife-ears.

"Slightly mad" I can work with. Do I get to make Evil Chuckles when i teleport my opponent's boats into random positions? :-)

Actually, the Russian Coalition seems a little tricksy as well, with their repair vehicles, subterranean transports, glacier generators and mimic generators, etc. And I don't mind the models, but am I right? Are they also kinda tricksy?

More about the League of Crimson as well, pleez! I know nothing about them! (Which is just the way they want it, no doubt...)

2 hours ago, Bazlord said:

"Slightly mad" I can work with. Do I get to make Evil Chuckles when i teleport my opponent's boats into random positions? :-)

Actually, the Russian Coalition seems a little tricksy as well, with their repair vehicles, subterranean transports, glacier generators and mimic generators, etc. And I don't mind the models, but am I right? Are they also kinda tricksy?

More about the League of Crimson as well, pleez! I know nothing about them! (Which is just the way they want it, no doubt...)

Yes, Russians do have some "tricks" they can use. However, they are the most straightforward faction in the game, and are as subtle as a sledgehammer.

The League of Crimson plays differently, depending on your Commodore (they're ALL special characters, and all have their own bonuses to their forces).

...as for "more on the League of Crimson"... They are effectively a club for dilettante malefactors, evil geniuses, and psychopaths.

Sigh... Patience is not one of my (admittedly, few) virtues, but you're right - new ORBATS ought to be waited for, really. That at least will give me a look at the League of Crimson as well. I'm liking the look of their Medium from the KS, so that's promising...

Covenant has always been the OG Masters of Trickery!

...But the new hotness is the League Crimson. Heck their name alone just sounds dirty... and trust me they are!

Shadow fog generators, dangerously over-clocked Tesla-Lances with a complete disregard for personal safety, morality-shattering Toxic Energy rounds... dirty dirty bastards... and they look damn good too! :)

-Mike

Grand-Stone likes this

2 minutes ago, Spartan Mike said:

Covenant has always been the OG Masters of Trickery!

...But the new hotness is the League Crimson. Heck their name alone just sounds dirty... and trust me they are!

Shadow fog generators, dangerously over-clocked Tesla-Lances with a complete disregard for personal safety, morality-shattering Toxic Energy rounds... dirty dirty bastards... and they look damn good too! :)

-Mike

I've just been reading the Spartan blogs on the Lyceum, getting a taste of the kind of filthy swine that the League of Crimson are... They sound great! 

Definitely looking forward to seeing what they're about once the new ORBATS hit us. In the meantime @Spartan Mike - any chance please of a few more words on Shadow Fog Generators? They're obviously distinct from the pure white Cloud Generators that the goody two-shoes government forces use ;-)

@Bazlord always insured and wearing my tin-foil hat! :) 

As far as a proper date for all the new ORBATS, I cannot give out the exacts yet... I am fearful of the Leagues revenge, but even moreso of Highlord Neil's wrath! 

As soon as we get the go ahead, me and Josh will be blabbering all about it!

-Mike

Bazlord likes this

Unbelievable. Un-FRIKKING-believable. As a result of the excellent advice given in this thread, I've bought into the Covenant.

I am filth. Oh! No! I mean, I am a champion for the brighter future of humanity! 

And either way, I'm loving it... ;-)

1*Naval Battle Group

1*Naval Support Flotilla

1*Naval Battle Flotilla

Which begs the question: where to next??

(I'm thinking the Aerial Support Group. Love the look of the Euclid & Capek units! But, are they tricksy enough? Maybe i just need 4 Callimachi...)