Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hubcap

2.5 Update effects on the French

7 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have only seen some of the changes so far that 2.5 rules have had but I would like to hear fellow French admirals thoughts on the changes from 2.0 to 2.5 and how its affects the French. My basic overall view with the changes regarding the French fleet is of all the nations we seem to have little change which overall seems like a slight nerf to our fleet while others can take more of an advantage of the newer rule set. Also it seems other factions are receiving newer toys with it as well (new MARS/Generators/Nation traits) but I've had no hint if the French getting anything. There is a feeling the french will be taking a huge hit from the nerf bat (not saying it will) with this update as well as lose some of its uniqueness. I do not want one of my main fleets to become useless and shelved for a couple years where some units are already at. 

Granted I understand there was a popular consensus that the French were the most powerful faction of the core nations (some called OP) but im never a supporter of major changes that take a unit/nation from great to nearly unwinnable. I do agree that there are some units that needed attention/reworking to bring them in line (nerf/buff or mixing depending on the unit) im just wondering if other nations are buffed and we take a hit, its a double whammy.

As always we cannot be sure how strong or weak our nation is without plenty of play-testing to be sure!

I'm not sure how French got nerfed?  We know Retardant can be limited to only work against specific things now but from what Spartan has told us most ROF units with it now will have a version that covers most things.

In some cases it might even be a benefit for ROF.  ROF has very strong large/massive units but their mediums and smalls aren't.  With Retardant now being more varied it is possible for it to show up on smalls to help them do their specific job better but not be too powerful in other situations.

As for Nation Traits, they are all going to be looked at and everyone is going to get their own unique commodores and commodore doctrines.  Just because we haven't specifically heard about the ROF ones doesn't mean they aren't getting them.

I'm not so sure if they will be hugely nerfed. Given the fact that heat lances still work the way they do now ( and didn't lose any MARs like speerschleuders did) and the fact that our interceptors can go stratospheric means we have a lot of tools to control the skies, maybe even more than we have now.

With torpedoes gaining barrage, this is a nice buff to all our torpedo sporting medium and large ships. I think the Republique will be fine in 2.5.

Hubcap likes this

Potentially sizeable nerf but not huge. A bunch of small buffs to other nations and small nerfs to another can create quite the gap. 

Probably but after reading through what @Ruckdog posted in the general discussion still worries me since many of the usual MARS the French have seem have taken a hit (ex Corrosive though needed imo) and no mention of Cloud or Fury Generators but that's probably a French specific thing now. Most if not all of the MARS that were reworked or buffed were not in the French fleet. I also don't like having the notion that we need to use Heat Lances to win. 

I agree that our interceptors will be more effective now that it can reach the stratospheric height band so that is a good thing :) thank you for mentioning that. Torpedoes are nice but of all the factions that use torpedoes ours do not gain as much of a boost as other since we have no MARS to our torpedoes. also we have below average cc on most ships to combat torpedoes with the added hint that Retardant armor only blocks Primary and Secondary for the french reduces our defense against them. Two small changes that added together make a new weakness.... granted i always thought torpedoes should be the bane of the French since their release. 

Just waiting for the ORBATS to be updated so i can test out the new rules and test to see if my worries are warranted or for nothing

I was really hoping our bombers might be able to go stratospheric with the rumours about, but apparently that's a change they didn't make.

page 107

"Unless otherwise noted, Models that are classified as Diving or Burrowing Models may occupy either the Surface or Submerged Height Levels and Models that are classified as Aerial Models may occupy either the Flying or Obscured Height Levels"

Only the Frelon can't go stratospheric as it is a small, the Pascal and Rousseau can both go stratospheric.  On the height bands on page 73 and 74 the only restrictions on going stratospheric is that that smalls, tiny, and SAS can't.  That is the only restriction.  They have removed the lines in the 2.0 rules stating that deep diving and stratospheric required specific MARs to get to those heights.

Page 107 they just didn't change the wording from the 2.0 rules, so it is poorly worded now, but it is very clear from their descriptions on the height bands what the intention is.

Hubcap likes this