Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Benchpresser

Sonic Generators

9 posts in this topic

I don't know if the information leaked out from the General forums yet- But the Sonic Generators got a COMPLETE Overhaul and are actually damn good now.

The Sonic can now do two modes-
"Shriek"- can target one model in a squadron in either surface or aerial bands in range.  On a 3+ that target is hit with an immediate Chaos & Disarray marker.

"Repulse"- Causes all Enemy Boarding attacks by Non-Robot models to suffer a -1 to hit for the duration of the Game Turn.

a 3-strong Onryo squadron just went from useless to scary in seconds.....  And a lot of our big ships are now threats to Aerial from sea level now...

A full Onryo squadron is now a perfect way to deal with the newest cheese- Strato hugging Carriers...  I don't need to bring it down, special delivery of 3 Chaos & Disarray tokens!

My brakedown:

Our Battlecruiser:

This unit will not benefit much from sonic generator. First, it is fearly expesive, and as an offensive tool, the sonic generator will not contribut much compared to it's guns. Second, as a defensive tool, I find that it's defensive versus regular gunnery compared to it's price isn't worth adding a buff to boarding defense. For this unit I much rather have a shield. But atleast now it's worth discussing.

Onryo:

The defensive buff isn't a big thing for this one. Probably going stratospheric gives you protection from boarding anyway... But the ofensive abilities of the sonic generator is very nice addition for the Onryo. And as stated, a nice counter to strato hugging Carriers.

Terror ship:

For this ship, the sonic shines. Realy. It has so beautifull defense (while ghost generator is working) that killing it by gunnery fire is difficult. However, boarding is one of it's achielles heels actually. So the defensive buff from sonic generator makes it more robust in that department. In addition, due to it's insane defensive capabilities, it doesn't have the most firepower. Combined with the fact that I tend to set it up in front and come close and personal very fast, makes the ofensive abilities of the sonic generator also usefull.

For most of our large:

We can choose between shield and sonic genertor. Shields gives you protection from gunnery, the generator from boarding. And if you fear boarding more than gunnery (depends on your enemy) the sonic generator may be a nice addition. However large units are SLOW, and has huge firepower, and the extra ofensive abilities of the sonic generator is mostly fluff. But it's fun. However thanks to the defensive capabilities of it, the sonic may very well be choosen.

There is one exception though... One of our ships, currently have rugged construction (1), shield AND sonic generator. That is an great combination now. Firstly, rugged construction have become slightly better in 2.5, secondly the sonic now gives a very nice protection versus boarding. (especially versus the Russians). With good protection versus firepower AND boarding... thats a good combo. It is actually on par with the Kaiji. Not just a smaller version of the Kaiji, but a different version of it.

It's a very fun generator, where it's use differs from model to model, and it very much helps distinguish our BB ships.

Edit:

Actually, our Dreadnaught may also have this shield+sonic. Earlier I would go for Tesla any day, so I didn't even consider it. But now??? Tesla is also nice. Now we have two versions of the Dreadnaught which may be worth adding...

Edit:

However, the sonic+shield combo seems more fun for the cheap battleship. It is also nice for the Dreadnaught, but that is not why you pay 100pt more for it compared the Kaiji. The cheap BB (Yokai) has almost same defensive as a Dreadnaught , but cost 100pts less. Thus sonic contributes more. But what is nice, that Dreadnaught shield+sonic is a real alternative shield + tesla. I think I would go for tesla, but not entirely sure...

On 5/21/2017 at 3:24 AM, Grand-Stone said:

There is one exception though... One of our ships, currently have rugged construction (1), shield AND sonic generator. That is an great combination now. Firstly, rugged construction have become slightly better in 2.5, secondly the sonic now gives a very nice protection versus boarding. (especially versus the Russians). With good protection versus firepower AND boarding... thats a good combo. It is actually on par with the Kaiji. Not just a smaller version of the Kaiji, but a different version of it.

I'm having a amnesia moment- which ship is this?  The Yokai mk 1 has both Gens, but not Rugged 1?

1 hour ago, Benchpresser said:

I'm having a amnesia moment- which ship is this?  The Yokai mk 1 has both Gens, but not Rugged 1?

Sorry. My bad. Yokai HAD ruged (1), but lost it when it got shield (2) instead for 10pts...

Still, the changes to the sonic makes the Yokai an interesting ship compared to the Kaiji :D