Pathogen

DESIRE to know more INTENSIFIES!

60 posts in this topic

Just got my email about it- even though I'm not a Armada player (have Planetfall still in box though) I might go for this.  Filled out the survey.

If I had discovered FA instead of DW, I would be all over this.  But I have waaaay to much painting yet to complete to jump in on this....

Trying to resist the urge to look ...

Marden likes this

A small pledge to help the campaign won't hurt right ? It will be particularly hard with the upcoming DW alliances expansion, important choice will have to be made.

If the render on the email is the Ice maiden equivalent (by that I mean Kickstarter exclusive model) I'll have to at least get one. It look gigantic and have some kind of RSN feel to it.

Looking forward future informations.

Benchpresser and draco84oz like this

Is this the new Spartan's way of doing business? Kickstarter over Kickstarter? I'm not fond of paying for products that are delivered one year later... Why changing the previous release model?

themailedfist and Drastab like this

9 minutes ago, child9 said:

Is this the new Spartan's way of doing business? Kickstarter over Kickstarter? I'm not fond of paying for products that are delivered one year later... Why changing the previous release model?

So did I miss something, I logged into FacePlant to check this out.  All I saw was the splash screen.  No details.

What do you mean Kickstarter over Kickstarter? If you mean they are running a Kickstarter over FaceBruise, you can count me out. I hate every thing about Zuckerberg's spyware.

wrongtrousers likes this

You didn't miss a lot Drastab, Spartan Games only sent a survey by email to gather some feedback before revealing/launching the actual Kickstarter.

Good point to have a look at what players want, plus experience from the Dystopian World expansion will surely make this campaign more smooth.

Drastab likes this

I think Kickstarter is a necessary evil rather than a business model in and of itself. Many companies are using it to fund large projects in a smaller time frame than would have been possible. SG's wheels grind slowly, and if this helps, why not use it?

As for delays, I have never heard of ANY KS project arriving on time. Iv'e heard that Hawk are only just sending out the last of their KS pledges (anyone with other info please post), and the DW KS had the spanner-in-the-works of the printer going out of business almost as the order was placed. Not something SG had control over. 

Iv'e backed the Darklight: memento Mori KS by Dark Ice Games, which should have shipped in April. Last I hear they're only just getting a final count on items to ship. SG's communication throughout the DW KS has been exemplary by comparison.

Drastab, RuleBritannia and Marden like this

Oh, that's much better,  thank you.

I didn't get an email, but I am not their target demo for FA, although I was a Rear Admiral backer and have bought far more DW and US that I should have... I mean like a whole lot.

3 minutes ago, Bessemer said:

I think Kickstarter is a necessary evil rather than a business model in and of itself. Many companies are using it to fund large projects in a smaller time frame than would have been possible. SG's wheels grind slowly, and if this helps, why not use it?

As for delays, I have never heard of ANY KS project arriving on time. Iv'e heard that Hawk are only just sending out the last of their KS pledges (anyone with other info please post), and the DW KS had the spanner-in-the-works of the printer going out of business almost as the order was placed. Not something SG had control over. 

Iv'e backed the Darklight: memento Mori KS by Dark Ice Games, which should have shipped in April. Last I hear they're only just getting a final count on items to ship. SG's communication throughout the DW KS has been exemplary by comparison.

I have no beef with KS, I actually like the whole concept.

And as for delays: try Reaper.  I backed their 2nd and 3rd Bones,  2nd took about a year,  3rd just arrived... I backed in June 2015.

The communications is great from Spartan, they and Hasslefree are about the only ones who really tell you much. 

There is that company  in Alpharetta Georgia (don't want to say whom since they are a direct competitor, but they host a painting site) they run late regularly, and and they stack KS on top of each other, there is always at least two in the works.

I would never participate, but literally half of their releases are KS exclusive.  So you either back them or get Frakked.

14 minutes ago, Bessemer said:

Come on, we all know that the printer issues aren't the real cause of DW Kickstarter delays... SG was already late before it happened ;)

48 minutes ago, Whyarecarrots said:

Just when I was telling myself that the DW kickstarter was enough resin for the time being.... Never mind, here we go again!

"Enough Resin" ?  What are these words you are using?  I do not understand this language.

I really should lay out my "Vault of the Unfinished" some day. But I think it would take an entire day to do so.  The real kicker is, I am a prolific painter,  unfortunately I am also a prolific purchaser.

I started to write out a list of what's left  but even sticking to Spartan only, still made me sad, let's just say it's at least 2 boxes worth of Danes, Black Wolf, East India/Merchants, French, Russians, and 4 boxes of Prussians.   Oh a a metric F-Tonne of Shroud Mages, because they look cool as hell even in the wrong game. 

Don't even get me started on my conversions for ground forces for the Italians, Black wolf and Danes.  You know because all my forces need ground forces now that the big 7 are all painted.

Why the hell am I typing? I need to get painting.

Marden likes this

I'm reserving judgement. I don't mind the Kicktarter delivery system, if that's what it takes, but I'm less than enthused about 3.0 itself. From my perspective, from Taskforce, to the Dystopian Worlds and modular terrain kickstarters, to some of the things coming out about 3.0, it seems to me that Spartan doesn't actually realize what their players want, even with the small slew of surveys that have been sent out. If Spartan are masters of anything, it's 1) Exploding dice, and 2) missing the point. Faster with bigger fleets was supposed to be what Taskforce was for, but Taskforce came out as this weird, completely different ruleset, rather than the simplification of rules that was promised, and I cannot stress enough that I'm 99% sure (but hoping to be proven wrong) that Armada 3.0 will again miss the point.

Anywho, I've made my thoughts known through the survey, and now here as well, for what it's worth. I'm going to work on other games and lurk the forums here until I see the fallout that this has on the game; hope for the best, expect the worst, and all of that.

Well the kickstarter system could be considered as a good system to allow projects funding which will have never been possible with the standard way. But it could become an issue for persistant universe (I mean games which need support) due to the fact that you bypass retailers. And most of the time, retailers make discover games by selling them.

So without retailers its much more complicated to have significant increase of players (and customers for the game).

It's really a complicated equation, and you should be carefull to avoid to vampirize all potential customers during the kickstarter campaign ...

I think we (players) much more need events to make Spartan Games games visible (and have a chance to find new players), than having a new 2 players starting box which will, by the end, only be available during the kickstarter campaign.

in Paris, France, only 4 players of Planetfall, much more players of Firestorm Armada, perhaps less than 40 ...

Marden likes this

I deeply agree with Hive. The 3.0 ruleset is the cornerstone of this kickstarter, at least for the existing playerbase, and as icarius said us having fun with the game should be Spartan's main marketing strategy. Remember, there is competition in the market now, and I'm not sure the IP can withstand the houserule hell of the preceding edition.
Taskforce was created with good intentions, but I cannot think of a reason to chose it over the standard FSA, so, (at least for me) it missed the mark. This is why I'm dreaded by the rumors of it's rules bleeding into the main ruleset, even if the intentions are the same good ones (reduced game times, simpler movement, faster pace, etc.).
An open beta (*before* the rulebook hits the printer) would be indispensable where the designers are willing to take feedback, and are not afraid to act upon it, even if it means that parts of the new rules have to go back to the drawing board. We should get a taste of the new rules very soon (they were supposed to drop in June, so technically they're still just one week late <_<), and we have the responsibility to provide feedback with which the designers can work with.
If that really happens, I'm cautiously optimistic about the future. If it's not... I'm not sure I want to be trapped in the webs of the sunk cost fallacy... But maybe I'm all speak now, and when I see the minis my wallet opens like the hull of a terran cruiser with its shields down. :(

I'll put in a little money.

Hopefully they don't bother with printed books outside of any starter box they do. Just put stuff up as PDFs, rapidly, FAQ and patch and update and rebalance. Rapidly.

Stretch goal to pay some staffers to blog and engage community and produce new lore and fictions, new scenarios, draw artwork, painting guides, list building discussion, whatever.

KS timelines are all relative.  Exploding Kittens which was, at least at the time, the most funded gaming project ever on Kickstarter and still the most backed shipped on time...to over 200k people.  I sincerely hope that this isn't their "new normal" on how to go about doing expansions on their games.  Asking for a ton of cash up front for models in the indefinite future is not how to generate excitement in your fanbase.  What *would* generate some excitement would be to stick to the posted timelines for stuff you've already promised or at least bother to let people know that there will be delays before the angry mob forms up demanding answers.

alamo, Bessemer, Pathogen and 1 other like this