sleeping_squirrel

Islands now medium size???

8 posts in this topic

In preparation for the first game with the "new rules" I have noticed one VERY IMPORTANT change - islands are now medium sized, in the last version of the rules islands blocked  LOS completely for all surface models. Islands being medium sized now means that large naval models cannot hide anywhere which is very strange. Ships sink fast in Fleet Action and island blocking line of sight completely was what I liked very much in Fleet Action :(

Do you think it is typo?

Spartan Josh?

14 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I think it's more of an "unless both players agree otherwise" situation.

Even in "normal" Dystopian Wars, a lot of people play that way.

I do not know,  if it is "unless both players agree otherwise" situation, why change it to medium size in the first place?

8 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Probably because most games clubs' "islands" are hills from other games, and they're usually 1" high, stackable, layers. These are about the same height as a medium model

Pretty much. As gamers we like multi purpose terrain and models. I've used lots of Warmachine, Warlord, and Confrontation figs for D&D.

This I can understand but it goes againts simplicity SG wanted to archieve with Fleet Action. Before it was simple - islands blocks LOS no matter what is the size of the piece of terrain. Now you have agree prior the game if you actually want to have islands different size than medium, which is always (if you want to hide large models at least somewhere).

Ok, now back to game, battle has to finish today and it does not look for the Chinese commodore as his battle ship with last HP is about to receive yet another massive bombing run from British squadrons and Chinese fighter squadrons ready to defend it are already weakened as their mother ships are trading blows with Australian battleship with very uncertain outcome!