Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Frostphoenyx

New to Planetfall

30 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My name is Frostphoenyx and I just bought an helix because I wanted to finally try 10mm :)  I am not really a gamer, mostly a painter, and not a good one by the way ;)

I just received my first box and I have a couple of questions for you guys !

-> Do I need to "wash" the miniatures with soapy water ? I know I needed to do that for 40k resin miniatures for the glue to stick.

-> Do I need to use super glue or is the plastic glue working on it ( citadel plastic one ) ?

Thank you for your time :)

WestAustralian likes this

Welcome to the Forums. Welcome to Planetfall. Which force(s) do you have?

Washing IMHO is optional. I have painted literally over a hundred unwashed Resin Spartan miniatures, but only ever had chipping on 2 of them. I use Army Painter Undercoat. 

Use Super Glue, IMHO Gel Super Glue is best

57 minutes ago, WestAustralian said:

Welcome to the Forums. Welcome to Planetfall. Which force(s) do you have?

Washing IMHO is optional. I have painted literally over a hundred unwashed Resin Spartan miniatures, but only ever had chipping on 2 of them. I use Army Painter Undercoat. 

Use Super Glue, IMHO Gel Super Glue is best

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I took the Directorate Heavy Helix, as I wanted to check the miniatures' quality. I definitively liked what I saw, so I just ordered the 2 players Starter box. Should receive it tomorrow ;)

WestAustralian likes this

Welcome to the Firestorm Universe!  

I don't get to play real often either, so don't feel bad. And as for painting WestAustralian is a great person to ask for advice from. He does an excellent job.

I second using the gel type superglue. The liquid type gets EVERYWHERE, I bought liquid superglue this time around by accident and have nearly glued my fingers to my starships who knows how many times. 

Directorate... Awesome! They have some of my favourite miniatures in the game. 

So make sure you use a good undercoat/ primer. Have you thought of a colour scheme yet?

Frostphoenyx likes this

Welcome to Planetfall Frostphoenyx! I echo West's and Skyhawk's comments and advice. If you enjoy painting the directorate I must recommend looking at their assault helix as their battle robot and flame tanks are a lot of fun to paint!

Frostphoenyx likes this

I think the recon box has a nice variety of cool models as well.

i think planetfall have great models in general.

welcome to the forums 

1 hour ago, fracas said:

I think the recon box has a nice variety of cool models as well.

i think planetfall have great models in general.

welcome to the forums 

Thank you :) So many boxes , where do I start haha ? :) 

10 hours ago, WestAustralian said:

Directorate... Awesome! They have some of my favourite miniatures in the game. 

So make sure you use a good undercoat/ primer. Have you thought of a colour scheme yet?

I mostly use the citadel black primer for my other miniatures, I think I'll do the same here. 

I'm still struggling with the color scheme, feel free to give me some ideas :)

3 hours ago, tansalus said:

Welcome to Planetfall Frostphoenyx! I echo West's and Skyhawk's comments and advice. If you enjoy painting the directorate I must recommend looking at their assault helix as their battle robot and flame tanks are a lot of fun to paint!

Thank you for the warm welcome !

might want to look at west aust. direct. for scheme ideas, he and i seem to be on a similar page. my direct. were primed black and light  shot/dusting of gunmetal with dry brush of steel as hi-lite.  color markings and bits and bobs were done in shades of blue with crystal/neon being the final hi-lite.  bases drybrush with various flock/static grass textures.

sorry dont have a camera but there is alot of inspiration in these hobby threads. hope that helps some

best alamo

Frostphoenyx likes this

4 minutes ago, alamo said:

might want to look at west aust. direct. for scheme ideas, he and i seem to be on a similar page. my direct. were primed black and light  shot/dusting of gunmetal with dry brush of steel as hi-lite.  color markings and bits and bobs were done in shades of blue with crystal/neon being the final hi-lite.  bases drybrush with various flock/static grass textures.

sorry dont have a camera but there is alot of inspiration in these hobby threads. hope that helps some

best alamo

Thanks for the explanation :) I'll try to check the forums for scheme ideas ;)

Hmmmm. I think that the bare metal look would look good, Or maybe a black and dark grey scheme. Just a couple ideas off the top of my head of course! But I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Frostphoenyx likes this

I like the idea of dark colors, (greys or black), for the directorate with red or green light sources. I saw somewhere on the forum a grey and yellow Terran theme with blue light sources that looked really cool. My opponent has done a winter scheme for his Terrans which looks pretty good too. Looking forward to what you do with them. The Dellingr is an amazing model, IMHO.

Frostphoenyx likes this

Hi Frostphoenyx,

Great to have you on the forum and my thanks to everyone for giving you such a warm welcome! I'm with tansalus on his colour ideas.

I hope you enjoy your Planetfall models.

All the best,

Neil

Frostphoenyx and tansalus like this

1 hour ago, Skyhawk said:

Hmmmm. I think that the bare metal look would look good, Or maybe a black and dark grey scheme. Just a couple ideas off the top of my head of course! But I can't wait to see what you come up with!

1 hour ago, tansalus said:

I like the idea of dark colors, (greys or black), for the directorate with red or green light sources. I saw somewhere on the forum a grey and yellow Terran theme with blue light sources that looked really cool. My opponent has done a winter scheme for his Terrans which looks pretty good too. Looking forward to what you do with them. The Dellingr is an amazing model, IMHO.

Thanks guys ! Those are great ideas ! I'll update the post as soon as the models are primed and the color scheme is chosen... stay tuned :) 

1 hour ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hi Frostphoenyx,

Great to have you on the forum and my thanks to everyone for giving you such a warm welcome! I'm with tansalus on his colour ideas.

I hope you enjoy your Planetfall models.

All the best,

Neil

Thank you for your welcome :) 

I suggest you google pictures of Spartan Games Directorate and Spartan Games Terran. Then search for images of Scifi Tanks and real world Tanks. 

My Directorate are Blue/Silver because the Spartan Demo colours attracted me to that force. My Terran are Camo because I just had to have a Camo force

@Frostphoenyx good luck with your decision. I look forward to seeing what you come up with

Frostphoenyx likes this

5 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

For Terra! I look forward to seeing your projects!

On 16/08/2017 at 2:30 PM, tansalus said:

That will look awesome, looking forward to pictures!

Thanks a lot guys. I'd say I am 60% finished, it should be over this weekend. I'd rather post pictures of finished products rather than WIP, hope you don't mind ;)

tansalus likes this

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.