54 replies to this topic

#1 bigkid

bigkid

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I want a lovely free Russian Commodore but I can't swim the flippin' Atlantic to get one!

Any chance it will be available via the website?

#2 Guest_Spartan Ricky_*

Guest_Spartan Ricky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I want a lovely free Russian Commodore but I can't swim the flippin' Atlantic to get one!

There's always the Twitter competition!

#3 BullwinkleTHEcat

BullwinkleTHEcat

Hipparmostes (Foot Soldier)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouth West London UK

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

:angry: Yeah....I still think we as Brits get a raw deal this side of the Atlantic. Will we be able to get these when WE buy the new Russian box sets? We also seem to get stuff 'late' this side of the pond! :angry:

#4 bigkid

bigkid

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

There's always the Twitter competition!

I don't have nothing to do with that new fangled nonsense!

Can't I send you my name and address on the back of a postcard??;)

#5 gb030104

gb030104

Taxiarhos (Brigadier)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationHantishire, Kingdom of Britannia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I must admit to being more than a little disappointed that a British company is offering this deal only to Americans

#6 AndyT

AndyT

Taxiarhos (Brigadier)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth West, Kingdom of Britannia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Same thing happened last year with the RoF Magenta which was initially only available as a special at the US event, but then Spartan relented and put some up for sale in their webshop.

#7 Cambrius

Cambrius

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationOregon City, OR

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Finally an advantage to being American! :P

"Our country will, I believe, sooner forgive an officer for attacking an enemy than for letting it alone."

- Lord-Admiral Horatio Nelson

DW: Kingdom of Britannia (5760 pts. - 2160 Naval, 1280 Aerial, 2320 Land); Russian Coalition (740 pts. Naval Fleet Box)
Britannians A Taste of Dystopia Campaign Rules: Cambrian Edition 1.1

#8 Mr Evil

Mr Evil

Strategos (General)

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Cheers Spartan !!! once again you have completely ignored your UK fanbase !!!!

That said its not that well sculpted so no big thing to me not being able to get one... as for a twitter competition ? this means a UK player has to compete with players from around the world for something a US player can basicly pick up for free at a convention !!!!!!

I dont feel this is just or fair on any other nationality, be they english german or french...

One more reason why people feel spartan are pandering to the americans cough cough FSA ... so much so the game seems to have been dropped now in my local store :( wich is less than an hour from your head office !!! all you needed to do was come down and run a tourny or some games ... they have 3 floors of plush games tables and enthusiasm....

Spartan contact Cut and Thrust in bristol, and offer to run a tournament there... and give out these busts to all players who turn up for a game on the weekend... or something similier... you have an amazing opertunity on your doorstep to promote your product not just in your closest city but internationaly with coverage of the event...

but as said.. unfair yes... but that said its not that great a bust and lacks the detail i would expect.
  • Cambrius likes this

Sorry to those that are used to my comedy Japanese space commanders directing the attacks of Mothra V Godzilla but some one found my old signature offensive so for now this will sit in its place... (once again the small minded dictate the open minded)
Posted Image

#9 BigB

BigB

Taxiarhos (Brigadier)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

:angry: Yeah....I still think we as Brits get a raw deal this side of the Atlantic. Will we be able to get these when WE buy the new Russian box sets? We also seem to get stuff 'late' this side of the pond! :angry:

Cheers Spartan !!! once again you have completely ignored your UK fanbase !!!!

going to call horse hockey on those. We couldn't get a blackwolf without ordering the rules from Spartan directly instead of our local gaming store in the US. I'd rather have a blackwolf than a commodore...

In fact, I'll be at Gencon and will buy the Russian set for a commodore if you trade me a blackwolf :)

-Big B
http://www.ocalagarrison.org/

Britannia, Royal Aussies, Indian Raj and Prussians

#10 Cambrius

Cambrius

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

I wonder if ordering from an American distributor would net a British player the commodore....

"Our country will, I believe, sooner forgive an officer for attacking an enemy than for letting it alone."

DW: Kingdom of Britannia (5760 pts. - 2160 Naval, 1280 Aerial, 2320 Land); Russian Coalition (740 pts. Naval Fleet Box)

#11 Sebenko

Sebenko

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Well, this is interesting, since I decided to make my own Antarctican Commodore 28mm figure. Used an appropriate model with some green stuff (After all, how would he be antarctican without a polar bear cloak?).

zREMIxQ.png

Railfun Enthusiast & Proponent of Scuttle MAR.

Covenant- Commanded from the unkillable CAS Andraste.

CoA- 8595 Points

PLC- ? Points

Dystopian Wars Wiki- Go on, write a page.

Dystopian Wars Blog

#12 Guest_bit_*

Guest_bit_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

couldn't say i cared any less than I do lol
but maybe should have made it a first how ever many people order the Russians from your site but alas its a worthless model anyway so not all bad ;) just want the ruskies don't need the trinket ;)

#13 sirius

sirius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

@ Sebenko hate to be the one to break this to you, but Polar bears live in the arctic.. not the antarctic... so an antartican would be very very unlikely to have a polar bear cloak

#14 Redmick

Redmick

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationCambridge UK

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

@ Sebenko hate to be the one to break this to you, but Polar bears live in the arctic.. not the antarctic... so an antartican would be very very unlikely to have a polar bear cloak

True! Now Penguin down underpants on the other hand - all the rage in Covenant stores this season...

#15 BullwinkleTHEcat

BullwinkleTHEcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

I wonder if ordering from an American distributor would net a British player the commodore....

Yeah...my point is......why should we have to.

#16 BullwinkleTHEcat

BullwinkleTHEcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Don't get me wrong....I think Spartan Games are a great company, I've being buying,painting and playing with all their games since the early days of Uncharted Seas, in fact my 'painting room' looks like a Spartan Games 'stock room' :rolleyes: I do feel we get a raw deal sometimes over here......second in line with new releases as more often than not American player seem to be able to get their hands on stuff first.....and support at Game Cons in this country. I see the reasoning behind not being at every game show with a stand in the UK...as ultimately it would badly effect other traders on the day, but I don't think I've every seen a Spartan presents at the larger shows,(Salute for one)...which would be a great way to expand the fan base for the games.

Its a hard slog getting players regularly interested in investing in a game which in some ways has a fairly low 'profile' in this country. I know at the start the release dates were awful.......so many missed deadlines...but things have got really, really better....what puts many players off now is 'the atlantic divide'. Is it that hard to ensure a fair and even distribution across the globe? It just seems 'patchy' at the moment as regards who gets what and when.

#17 DKoW

DKoW

Strategos (General)

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationNewry, N. Ireland

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

What I think it comes down to is that GW has more or less choked the market in the UK, and with all of their restrictive international trading rules on companies like Wayland Games, for example, outside the UK (and Europe) is probably the better place to try and get new players.

I mean i read all over the place that Americans have almost had enough of GW, not to mention the Australians. While the UK still has a very strong and loyal fanbase.

So why bother trying to compete in the UK, when the feeding ground elsewhere is better??

At least, this is my take on it. Doesnt make it right though.

If you will not serve me, you serve no purpose!

DW - Prussian Empire

FA - Terran Alliance

Son of a GUM-CHEWING FUNK monster! Why the FRUIT does all this FUNNY stuff happen to me? FORGET my life! Always surrounded by miserable FAILING clauds! Like this whole world just likes to BEND me over, and FIND me in the ALPS! Like I'm some kind of schlock recepticle! Well, so far as I care, these miserable COWS can have a fancy barbeque with a GODDAM PIG!!

#18 Darthkema

Darthkema

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

What I think it comes down to is that GW has more or less choked the market in the UK, and with all of their restrictive international trading rules on companies like Wayland Games, for example, outside the UK (and Europe) is probably the better place to try and get new players.

I mean i read all over the place that Americans have almost had enough of GW, not to mention the Australians. While the UK still has a very strong and loyal fanbase.

So why bother trying to compete in the UK, when the feeding ground elsewhere is better??

At least, this is my take on it. Doesnt make it right though.

I couldn't tell you for sure if the US as a whole is sick of GW, but I know most the people I know definitely are! So I'm glad to have Spartan doing so well here, but I do feel they should show some love to the home team...
  • Cambrius likes this

#19 Sebenko

Sebenko

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Their cloaks in the Hurricane season book are either Bear or Lion.
And lions most certaintly do not live in the antarctic, so where are they getting those? I bet a polar bear cloak is better for the location than a lion.

Also, my fleet spends a lot of time operating against the brits- we're totally hanging around the northern bits of the world anyway. I bet energy turrets are great for hunting, since they only just do enough damage to worry a seal

(and everyone knows that there's a tunnel from one pole to the other. The magnetic poles, not the polish poles. I'm pretty sure poles aren't connected to each other by tunnels)

I think I distracted them by babbling. Quick! To the Antarctic while they're confused!

zREMIxQ.png

Railfun Enthusiast & Proponent of Scuttle MAR.

Covenant- Commanded from the unkillable CAS Andraste.

CoA- 8595 Points

PLC- ? Points

Dystopian Wars Wiki- Go on, write a page.

Dystopian Wars Blog

#20 Cambrius

Cambrius

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Seconded, Darthkema. My friends and I are pretty fed up with GW's shenanigans. And it makes sense that Spartan would focus on a market less saturated than the UK. Sucks for you guys, but the same is true in reverse where GW is concerned and, for purely selfish reasons, I totally dig it. Spartan's games are compelling, the models are superlative, and the prices are reasonable. It's pretty gratifying.

Given their ability to translocate, I think the Covenant could manage polar bear cloaks. Penguin down skivvies are just silliness. Psh. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users