Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
thundrchickn

My Thoughts On Rc Navy.

21 posts in this topic

I think the battle box models are all you really need. My reasoning on this is that you want to get as much ablative armor in the water as possble. We only have 1 battleship and I'm not to thrilled that the dreadnaughts beam turrets as secondaries. Sure a high CR value dread with ablative armor is nice but I think i'd rather put those points towards getting more suvorov cruisers into the water.

The reason I think Suvorovs are so great in my opinion is that for every squad of 3 of the gunships, you get a 4 ship squad od suvorovs. An extra boat with ablative armor. Sure the gunboats have a CR of 7 but your opponent (if he's smart) will try to crit every ship as fast as possible before his heavy hitters start taking hits and loosing AD. A CR of 6 isn't a whole lot compared to a 7. More than likely your opponent will go the safe route and link all the guns in a squad to make sure that CR is hit. A 4 boat squad of British frigates got a double crit on my suvorov. It's going to happen whether you are a CR 6 or 7 but having the extra boat will force them to split some more fire hopefully causing a complete failure on the two ships instead of critting the one. It's not like we need a second gun when they're already so much more powerful than everyone elses and the gunships will just loose 2 AD for every HP anyways.

To round out the fleet, taking 7 frigates because they have 2 guns instead of 1 at almost half the price of the destoyer counterpart. Not having pack hunter is a bummer but you dont need these frigates to put hits on battleships and armored cruisers. Just use them for one foe one swaps with your opponents frigates to make those british squads a little less potent. It's much easier for these small targets to fight comparable smalls so the capitol class vessels don't have to waste ammo. The Suvorovs and the battleship will do most of your killing. Your goal is to weaken all you opponents squads before all your capitols loose their ablative armor. If you can reduce their effectiveness early then your ships will become invincible.

Battleship

4 Suvorovs

3 Suvorovs

3 Suvorovs

4 frigates

3 frigates

995 points

You can switch to 4/4/2 for suvorov squads for more firepower but a smart opponent will then feel the need to only focus fire 2 targets to majorly reduce effectiveness as oppose to splitting between all 3.

blazeoffailure likes this

I have to agree with most of what you are saying but personally I like the gunships they do a good job being fire magnets to potect the cruisers and bb and they do have some nasty firepower my last game with the gunships my opponenet only managed to sink one and that was the only one he damaged luckly their armour held out til rb2

Sure the gunboats have a CR of 7 but your opponent (if he's smart) will try to crit every ship as fast as possible before his heavy hitters start taking hits and loosing AD. A CR of 6 isn't a whole lot compared to a 7.

Well, it´s much concerning a double crit. Most full units of small ships link to a volley of 10-12 hits after rolling the dice. A dice roll of 12-13 will destroy a cruiser, but only cause two damage on a gunship. Even if the enemy gets a lucky shot of 14+ hits, the gunship remains with 1hp left. Then feel lucky that the enemy did not fire this shot on Your DN or BB, breaking its ablatvie armour. A CR of 7 instead of 6 also means that most weapons have to link fire.

The most optimum for smalls is RB2 where you're going to be linking for 9-12 AD which will get half hits and a third of that 6's so assuming 12 Ad thats 6 hits with 2 6's and half of those being hits so thats 9 damage for a single hit to crack CR for the first time. Assuming 10 AD we get 5 hits and with 1.5 6's so for one 6 we'd have 7 hits assuming the 6's reroll fails. It till crits the gunship. In order to double crit these mediums, you'd have to roll somewhere between above average and exceptional unless you're equivalent size or larger. By then, the mediums have closed the gap and a good bit of them should still have their armor and now bringing their monstrous guns to bear and inflict way more damage than any opponent because their turrets are the best.

I think the detroyers ability to push things away 2" has got to be of some use. Messing up your opponents formations, blocking lines of sight or putting things where they might cause collisions. Won't get my first game for a couple of weeks though so won't find out for a while.

I think the detroyers ability to push things away 2" has got to be of some use. Messing up your opponents formations, blocking lines of sight or putting things where they might cause collisions. Won't get my first game for a couple of weeks though so won't find out for a while.

I do like that but the frigates have the same gun and have 2 guns, same AD at RB2 for almost half the cost. At that price I think i'd rather have double the vectors to kill their smalls and cover more ground.

The other advantage the frigates have over the destroyers is their utility and agility - 360 movement and fire arc allows them to put that firepower where they want to, and where its needed. The destroyer, on the other hand, uses a turn template, has a minimum move, and has a fixed forward channel fire arc. I can see the DD being useful, but compared to the utility of the frigate, it'd be limited.

Well I tried my RC navy out last night and I totally caught myself by surprise when I noticed that the main guns on the Frigates are Primaries. I am definitely not a huge fan of that. I will however extol the movement virtues of the Frigates. Being able to move more or less as you please free of turning templates is pretty nice as is the 360 degree arcs of fire on their guns.

The relative slow speed of the Cruisers and Frigates was also something of a problem for me and the lack of RB 3 dice on the turrets was disappointing too. Abaltive Armor when it is up is quite nice, but once it goes down your ships are pretty soft. You lack the speed to maneuver out of the worst paths of fire and you lack the DR or CR ratings that would make them more resilient.

All that said, the number of dice you can throw with the RC navy once you get into range is quite impressive. But, in the end I'm just not certain the RC Navy is my kettle of fish. I'll have to try them out a few more times before I make a final assessment.

how much damage are we talking about with the RC guns on most of there ships? I hear they hit hard but just how hard and how much damage on average? do they destroy enemy ships quickly? Also i was wanting to know whats the max effective range on the RC frigates? I hear there a godsend.

The friagtes are badass. Keep them in RB2, where they can use their Main gun and mortar for full effect. Seriously, those frigates are made to keep behind the bigger ships and lob it forward or shoot through the cracks.

Damagewise... well i had a little game sunday where my Borodino got a Sokotso one round with its broadsides and two turrets, then all three turrets and the broadsides (both RB1). It sank like a stone.

Grave13 likes this

impressive, so on average how many dice are you rolling on..lets say a RC battleship using the same attack as you listed above?

Grave: Twentysomething and whatever the broadside has. As Timbo said, just look for the redesigned units stat card thread :)

Grave: Twentysomething and whatever the broadside has. As Timbo said, just look for the redesigned units stat card thread :)

good god man thats alot of dice, if someone rolls bad with that many dice then they are just cursed.

Well, i have no hard maths about it, but with that many dice, getting many 6es is pretty much probably.

In my opinion: The Borodino can blow everything up. The trick is, getting it into position.

So get a carrier, mimic the iceberg gen and have fun with that.

Well, i have no hard maths about it, but with that many dice, getting many 6es is pretty much probably.

In my opinion: The Borodino can blow everything up. The trick is, getting it into position.

So get a carrier, mimic the iceberg gen and have fun with that.

has anyone you know of played RC against RoF? because as it stands im going to purchase one of the two as my first starter fleet, and right now its so hard to pick because french got awsome airpower and heat lance and russians got raw unyielding power in weapons. I definitly like a army that hits really hard, its always been my playstyle in games.

has anyone you know of played RC against RoF? because as it stands im going to purchase one of the two as my first starter fleet, and right now its so hard to pick because french got awsome airpower and heat lance and russians got raw unyielding power in weapons. I definitly like a army that hits really hard, its always been my playstyle in games.

I would cross the Bering Strait if I were you rather than head on down to Baton Rouge.

I would cross the Bering Strait if I were you rather than head on down to Baton Rouge.

Nice a message in code. For the motherland then.

The Destroyers have 3AA each (opposed to the Frigates 1AA) which could be useful if your playing a carrier heavy fleet I guess, they are also faster than the Frigates, oh and the gun is 90 degree arc not fixed channel. The frigates are probably better in most games, but the destroyers still have enough differences to make them worth considering.

Agreed. The Borodino is a beast, get it in proper shape in the proper place and watch it tear apart the ennemy fleet. I had a game against RoF today where my damaged BB destroyed 2 frigates, crit'd a Marseille and prized the Magenta in a single activation. 3 forward facing turrets, nice broadsides, 12 AP and a ram means it WILL break a fleet's back single-handedly if allowed to.

The main problem is, the Borodino is like a right hook, not a direct. I believe it is active for one turn only. Before that, the ennemy fleet isn't properly baited, after that there is no ennemy fleet to speak of.

As for the Suvorov / Tambov thing, my answer is both. One has a Rocket Jammer, the other has a Torpedo Breaker and clearly, you need both if you want some of your Ablative Armor to last past turn 2. Plus, the Tambov are possibly the best at absorbing the stray dice from the generators, they have good Armor, CC and AA and if the opponent kills it by chain-rolling 6s, well it's just one of your 6+ Medium-sized ship.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.