Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
pancakeonions

Official Thread: Chinese Federation

686 posts in this topic

(Edit from Spartan Games)

With so many sub-forums and threads, we're trying to give the Spartan Games Community a bit of a tidy-up. Let's try and keep to the official threads and see how we go.

Who are the Chinese Federation?

Possessing all the requirements of a true superpower – population, resources and an overall central governing body – circumstances have consistently combined to prevent the Federation from joining the ranks of the great empires. Battered over the course of the centuries by numerous invasion attempts by the Russian Coalition, and with the Ottoman Dominions and the Empire of the Blazing Sun often chewing at its eastern and western extremities, the Federation is also plagued by destructive internal politics – the Mongolian Khanates of the Iron Horde who hold the Federation’s northern border regions with Russia are particularly fractious. The Emperor, although in theory the absolute overlord of the collection of kingdoms that comprise his nation, in fact has to rule with a combination of shrewd diplomacy and political ingenuity, playing off one kingdom against another in order to further his own goals. In addition, the Federation’s strong and well-justified distrust of foreigners and their intentions has prevented it from acquiring overseas aid in its industrialisation process, resulting in comparatively slow progress compared to the rest of the world.

For more information on The Chinese Federation, you can read their full page on our website here:

http://www.spartanga...lliance-nations

I think the chinese and EotBS are allies in the dystopian wars world but i could be wrong. I know in real life the chinese and japanese hate each other.

I play CoA, but I would pick up the Chinese in a cold minute if they were released as a faction. Definitely think one of the world's longest running civilizations deserves it's own major faction

well going by the write up on the federation it seems they're in a grey area in reagrds to the EotBS.

Battered over the course of the centuries by numerous invasion attempts by the Russian Coalition, and with the Ottoman Dominions and the Empire of the Blazing Sun often chewing at its eastern and western extremities
The Chinese Federation generally prefers to stand aloof from foreign affairs wherever possible, content to be largely self-sufficient and generally unwilling to be dragged into the affairs of other nations unless they directly threaten its own interests. Just recently, another military force has become available to the Emperor and his Celestial Court, one that has forced the Lord of Ten Thousand Years to reconsider his foreign policy – none other than the rogue Blazing Sun General Oni and the Wani division of the Blazing Sun Army of the Sword. Oni wishes only to continue his war against the enemies of his Empress, and has no particular enmity towards the Federation. The Guangxu Emperor is considering his options carefully – handing Oni and his troops over to Shinzua would surely gain him great favour with the Blazing Sun’s ruler, but then again, having an entire division of the Blazing Sun army effectively at his disposal against a renewed Russian or Britannian threat is also a very tempting prospect…

I think they would make a cool 'full' faction myself, i especially would like to see their ‘Dragon’ fire-throwing Land Ships.

When I think of a Chinese army it's usually about their massed infantry. I wonder if theres some way of working that into the DW world...?

When I think of a Chinese army it's usually about their massed infantry. I wonder if theres some way of working that into the DW world...?

Were getting infantry starting this summer, with only tokens unfortunately but still infantry.

Were getting infantry starting this summer, with only tokens unfortunately but still infantry.

Oh really, that is good news. Can't wait to find out what their like.

I play CoA, but I would pick up the Chinese in a cold minute if they were released as a faction. Definitely think one of the world's longest running civilizations deserves it's own major faction

Agreed!

[period]

Same here. I love Chinese stuff.

a minor nation status reflects the Chinese better from a historical point of view, as thou they owned a large amount of territory they were not really on a level par with countries such as Japan which had modernised very fast in a short space of time the east as a whole was undeveloped. The Chinese being referred to generally as the 'weak men of the east', thou this was never the case they simply weren't unified in cause most of which is because of western interference and ambition.

BasicBob likes this

I would have to say that as a second tier nation "The Chinese Federation" fits well into that designation. From a historical and gaming perspective you need nations that are on a level below the core or major power nations to develop some intrigue. I would not "bump" these guys up at all, but keep them where they are...you need mercs from somehwere. Can you say Chinese Pirates ?!

I would vote for the Chinese to be a very loose Federation and in reality about 8 or 10 different navies each serving its own Warlord.

Oh plz no. China's a colony in DW. If we turn each and every allaince nation into a full nation the whole feeling of colonialism which DW has so strong will be lost

I think that they should remain second tier; but they should also have some very distinctive fleet units that make them stand out - thousands of years of history, unique cultural features and awe inspiring potential would make them a lot of fun to play in the DW world.

I agree that China works best as a second-tier faction. The idea of having a loose federation of Cathayan warlords that share home defense but not a centralised command structure is pretty cool, in my opinion. I also think China would work better as a minor antagonist for Blazing Sun.

Being Asian myself, I would love to see a chinese fleet. I see no reason why that in DW, the country couldnt have unified and become a power with fleet of its own. I mean given the consideration that they were truly one of the first countries to use Gunpowder.

Oh plz no. China's a colony in DW. If we turn each and every allaince nation into a full nation the whole feeling of colonialism which DW has so strong will be lost

China isn't a colony, I'm pretty sure when people mention "full faction" they're talking about the chinese becoming one of the "core factions" since by what we currently know none of the current alliance nations are colonies for anyone else and are "full nations" fluff-wise already.

Basically I'd imagine that DWs alliance nations will be done similar to the alliance fleets for firestorm with limited model selections.

Something I thought of today was maybe making them almost the reverse of the Italian States, and having them play a key role in the developments in Asia, with a strong emphasis on land forces (i.e. a large, well-developed land range with less options for naval and air forces). I also second the wish to see these Dragon class flamethrower-armed landships (in fact if I don't I may have to try my hand at scratch-building one).

In the none too distant past they have been at war with the Russians. I certainly see them being able to hold their own - but don't see them as a Great Power in the same way as the existing core nations - the 19th Century setting would represent China as a faded, sprawling power, out of touch with the world outside and largely slow to react to modernisation. However, it would still have taken some of the influences from outside but operate a purely defensive strategy perhaps.

At this stage, there would be only hints at the global superpower it might become - but this is the period of foreign bullying, gunboat diplomacy and exploitation.

Aimlessfreak likes this

I didn't realy have a feeling either way til i read this thread, but to be honest, i could see the chinese as a relative power. But what it seems like they are doing with second tier nations is making them into semi powers but without full army lists. IE, italy has a really amazing navy, ottomans land and maybe navy but no air. Even the russians are primarily army based at the moment(missing two overall designated units). And it works. China could very well be a land and naval power that lacks in the air department and still fit nicely as a second tier nation. Keep in mind, none of the alliance nations have been filled out at all. Once they start doing them, i bet we'll see plenty of chinese units. Maybe not a whole army, but enough to run with ^_^

I didn't realy have a feeling either way til i read this thread, but to be honest, i could see the chinese as a relative power. But what it seems like they are doing with second tier nations is making them into semi powers but without full army lists. IE, italy has a really amazing navy, ottomans land and maybe navy but no air. Even the russians are primarily army based at the moment(missing two overall designated units). And it works. China could very well be a land and naval power that lacks in the air department and still fit nicely as a second tier nation. Keep in mind, none of the alliance nations have been filled out at all. Once they start doing them, i bet we'll see plenty of chinese units. Maybe not a whole army, but enough to run with ^_^

I pretty much agree with what your saying but I think all the nations will get atleast one or two units for each air, land and sea.

I actually agree Aimless. I do think that most forces will get something to represent most of the branches. But, not necessarily a full compliment. For example, im really looking forward to the Poles, but their fluff clearly states they are land first, air distant second and almost no navy. So i don't expect anything more then 1, MAYBE 2 ships at most in their entire line. I figure chinese would be same. Maybe 1 or 2 aircraft at most, and then a nice land force with a sprinkling of ships. Ottomans and Italy probably strong navies to balance out the branches for the second tier nations. Only question is what will the Egyptians and South American forces be composed of. Haven't read enough on them.

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.