zaknafn

The five greatest Sci-Fi ships of all time

104 posts in this topic

No, I've pretty much ignored the author after Live free or Die. Come on man, keep your creepy racism and fetishes to yourself :wacko: (yes, I know he've inserted the latter ever since Council wars series, but it was done in small doses there, and Kildar series is an adolescent power fantasy trip, I can live with it there)

The best books he did, imo, were the prince Rodger ones, with Weber as co-author. The two kept each other in check- Rico could drift off into sex and slaughter, while Weber couldn't spend entire chapters TALKING ABOUT DEM POLITICS MAN. It was glorious :P

March Upcountry, right? 

Yeah, 'Palladin of Shadows' is adolescent fantasy trip.  I do like the Legend of Aldeenta series (Hymn Before Battle/Gust Front ect), and I see they released a 2nd edition for those two novels.  My problem with Weber (and I don't know if it's different in other series by him) is that in the Honor Harrington series, he goes on for page after page just talking about the freakin' ships manuvering to get a chance for a shot at one another!

No, I've pretty much ignored the author after Live free or Die. Come on man, keep your creepy racism and fetishes to yourself :wacko: (yes, I know he've inserted the latter ever since Council wars series, but it was done in small doses there, and Kildar series is an adolescent power fantasy trip, I can live with it there)

The best books he did, imo, were the prince Rodger ones, with Weber as co-author. The two kept each other in check- Rico could drift off into sex and slaughter, while Weber couldn't spend entire chapters TALKING ABOUT DEM POLITICS MAN. It was glorious :P

Yeah, that's the problem. Too many military Sci fi writers tend to be libertarian gun-nuts. Bujold feels like the sole exception to that rule.

Yeah, that's the problem. Too many military Sci fi writers tend to be libertarian gun-nuts. Bujold feels like the sole exception to that rule.

Wait until you get to the straight-up racist libertarian gun-nut maniacs like Kratman.

Too many classic ships, and greatest begs the question 'for what'.

There are pure iconic ships that define their series, and many of the true classics have been brought up already.

I'm going to go with ones though that have their own 'life'

In no particular order

1) the TARDIS- 'only' a transport, but over 50 years (or 1000+) years of operation with enough engine power to hold back a grandfather paradox (series- do you need ask)

2) Shadow cruiser- Bioship from a million year old species single person command core for that 'survival' instinct, built up at first as rumors and legends and never something to be taken lightly. From Babylon 5

3) The 'culture's ships from Ian M Banks. Why- You gotta admire a civilization with ships capable of destroying worlds called such things as "No more Mr Nice Guy"

4) The Jerusalem from Neil Ashers polity series- Not allowed near planets due to its mass, the sort of 'science' vessel you call on when you have mini-black holes used as jump drive jammers. 

5) Ryo-oki, in its universe the 3rd most powerful warship in the galaxy. Has an easy store form and can recharge off carrots.

and to break pattern one of the earliest classics that hasn't been mentioned- Jules verne's the nautilus (sci-fi doesn't need to be space only)