northerndragons

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hmm, 

1. A joint first place.. I WOULD select pretty much all the ships from the Homeworld series of games, but I'm going to pick..

The Hiigaran Mothership and the godship Sajuuk,  mostly just for it's main gun.

Look at it firing!! Look how massive it is!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=P-05M3Xt1y8

Bombardier, that thing isn't a spaceship, it's a freakin' mobile gun.  I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that!  I imagine the Dindrenzi are working on something like that for a MKII dreadnought.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. - Blade Runner

"For the warriors of Illium were those most powerful and fell, They were those born of winter." - rough translation of a fragment of the Epic cycle

#82 Talonz

Talonz

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationvictoria, bc

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

In my mind there can be only one ...uchu senkan yamato.  It hits all my buttons for various reasons, the sound effects and music alone gets my blood pumping.  You really have to watch the whole series, movies, etc. and delve into its many enemies and backstories.  I did not see this series until after Robotech which was the first anime space opera series that hooked me, but chronologically it was the first.  A classic.

space-battleship-yamato-still011.jpg

That said, one definitely has to give a nod to the ISD and Enterprise (especially the original movie version, very sleek), classic and beautiful (or simply brutal in the ISDs case) ships in their own right.  Im a big trek fan so the neghvar and dderidex are right up there as well.

But id rather give some love to some not yet mentioned;

White Comet Empire missile cruiser

Loved this ship ever since I saw it.  Simple disc design with a central hull bristlling with weapons, including the 2 giant ship killing missilles in the nose.  Yes please!

Yamato-Gorand-11581.jpg

B5s Vorlon Dreadnought.  Alien, deadly, sexy.

vorlon_dreadnought.jpg

and finally robotech's Zentraedi zergnitz fleet command ship

Although the entire zentraedi fleet was basically green and generic cigar shaped, again their battlemusic gets my blood pumping and they are as a race no joke, bred solely for war, and this command ship was at the top;

nupetiet_vergnitzs_class_ship_by_j_m_d-d

smaller craft

#1 has to go to the zentraedi officers battle pod, shamelessly stolen and known in battletech as the Marauder;

officer_battle_pod.jpg

Then mostly ones already mentioned, viper, buck rogers starfighter, cylon raider, gunstar, hammerhead, etc.  All nice or classic designs.

#83 StingrayP226

StingrayP226

Strategos (General)

• Spartan Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Alright I guess I should list my (likely) ever changing favorite Capital ships (picthres might come later).

1: The SD Lucifer: the unstoppable terror from the Original Freespace. This menacing vessel already wiped out one ancient race before the Terrans and Vasudans encountered it. It seems unstoppable due to its extremely strong shielding systems, and it crushes any ship that gets in its way. Also this ship was the one that brought around the extinction of an entire race that once had a massive empire amoung the stars, lay waste to the capital world of the Vasudans, and almost wipes out earth. The only way to beat its shields was to engage it in subspace where its shields could not function.

2: SC Lilith: I love the look of the Shivan's primary cruisers Cain/Lilith but the Lilith wins by being the more bad*** of the twins.

3: EA Warlock: the original EA destroyers always left me a little cold but I just love the Warlock. It just looks awesome and from whst little I've seen it also preforms very well.

4: GTCv Demios the newest generation of the GTA's fleet this corvette definately isn't the best looking ship but its functional and its got has a nice punch with its fore mounted Beam Cannon.

5:TBA

#84 Des Mordan

Des Mordan

Hipparmostes (Foot Soldier)

• Spartan Vanguard
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGeorgia USA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Earth alliance battleship Agamemnon (b5)
Broadsword (fsa)
Yamato (sb)
Enterprise ncc 1701 (star trek)
White star (b5)
Melinium falcon (Star Wars)
Batlestar (bsg)
Xwing (Star Wars)
Star destroyer (star wars)
Discovery (2001)

#85 quiet01

quiet01

Strategos (General)

• Beta Test Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

This is the zombie thread from hell that just won't die....

#86 AndrewChristlieb

AndrewChristlieb

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tennessee

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Fol lol's I asked my wife what hers were and she said "Enterprise... Millenium Falcon... Thats all I know... Oh wait the Death Star is a space ship right??" Ah so much fun.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Posted Image

#87 zaknafn

zaknafn

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

You know special mention to an old (ancient! even before my time...  :ph34r: ...) ship that was the mother of original cool sci-fi ships.

war-of-the-worlds.jpg

Still gives me goose bumps because I first saw it when I was like...10...

Zak

• azrael and northerndragons like this
I am created Shiva, Death, the Destroyer, the Shatter-er of Worlds.

Posted Image

#88 Talonz

Talonz

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationvictoria, bc

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

Man that takes me back...I found this album in my dads collection when I was 10 or so.  Sitting on the floor of our living room, giant headphones on, this freaked me out...

#89 azrael

azrael

Taxiarhos (Brigadier)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Those lamppost head aliens gave me nightmares as a kid and I got to go see the new generation live in Birmingham this year. War of the worlds rocks ! (my second razorthorn is called thunderchild ! - my friend Hates that ship !)

#90 MarkNorfolk

MarkNorfolk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWrexham, North Wales

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

To choose only 5 is way hard. The list would probably be different next week, but....

TIE Interceptor - it's a TIE. With extra cool.

The original USS Enterprise. I just like that design. Plus it helped pull the concept of fictional starship design away from v2-like rockets and flying saucers.

Hyperion-class cruiser from Babylon 5. No artificial gravity. Powerplant way at the back. It just seems like a 'real' design.

70's era Cylon Raider. It just seems cooler than it's modern counter part.

Tardis. It's what I'd actually choose to fly around in.

Cheers

Mark

#91 Vosh

Vosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Well only five is very, very hard. I've been raised on sci-fi and have overall taken a real liking to hard sci-fi in particular.

1 Troy from the Troy rising novels by John Ringo. It is massive. It has the power to kill a planets biosphere in under sixteen minutes. It is filled with technology acquired by attacking enemy ships with such overwhelming power and precision that they are scuttled without actually destroying any essential systems.

2 The Vorpal Blade II from the looming glass series by the same author. It's warp drive is a salvaged black box from a now extinct alien species. It's armament is a spread of weapons that fire unreality. It has a engaged and defeated superior vessels through cunning. And of course there's William Weaver.

3 Talyn from Farscape. Such an angry child.

4 Covenant of Blood from the Night Lords trilogy. An ancient and powerful ship with a perfectly matched machine spirit.

5 The SDF 1. As a child it was Robotech that really started my sci fi addiction. The ship left an impression, even if there are others I prefer to one degree or another none have quite had this much impact.

Fighter list will follow at later date.
  • veritechc likes this

#92 veritechc

veritechc

Strategos (General)

• Spartan Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • LocationOroville, Ca

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

2 The Vorpal Blade II from the looming glass series by the same author. It's warp drive is a salvaged black box from a now extinct alien species. It's armament is a spread of weapons that fire unreality. It has a engaged and defeated superior vessels through cunning. And of course there's William Weaver.

5 The SDF 1. As a child it was Robotech that really started my sci fi addiction. The ship left an impression, even if there are others I prefer to one degree or another none have quite had this much impact.

I can not believe that someone else has read the Looking Glass Series. What I like about the Vorpal Blade II is that is is based in Science Fact and is still a very cool ship!

Oh and of course the SDF-1. Same reason as you. It helped start me down the path to Sci Fi addiction...

• northerndragons likes this

#93 Pok

Pok

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Well, except the whole J-pop weapon station ;) But yeah, it was definetely his last good book sadly, he then veered off into Oh No John Ringo territory.

Set phasers to "grumble"

Don't start an interstellar war, it has no helpful uses. If people ask you what's it for you'll only make excuses.

#94 northerndragons

northerndragons

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

I can not believe that someone else has read the Looking Glass Series. What I like about the Vorpal Blade II is that is is based in Science Fact and is still a very cool ship!

Oh and of course the SDF-1. Same reason as you. It helped start me down the path to Sci Fi addiction...

I've read it, don't know if I'd put the A.S.S. Vorpal Blade in a list best sci-fi ships... maybe one of the Chaos Destroyers, now they kicked a--!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. - Blade Runner

"For the warriors of Illium were those most powerful and fell, They were those born of winter." - rough translation of a fragment of the Epic cycle

#95 Vosh

Vosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Ah but with the Vorpal Blade II you have a mix of human and alien technology that is both a war ship and a ship of exploration. It does what has no presidence and has very little super future technosorcery to make it work. Not to mention Weaver is pretty cool.

#96 northerndragons

northerndragons

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

Weaver is cool, but Two-gun Berg rocks!!

#97 Vosh

Vosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

Never jack with a competent berserker with self control, an amazing degree to talent, and a head for physics.
  • Vosh likes this

#98 northerndragons

northerndragons

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

Well, except the whole J-pop weapon station ;) But yeah, it was definetely his last good book sadly, he then veered off into Oh No John Ringo territory.

Did I miss a book in this series?  I read 'Claws that Catch' but I haven't seen any other ones out for it.

Pok, have you had a chance to read 'Under a Graveyard Sky'?  I've got it in my ereader but I'm currently in the middle of the Enderverse.

• AndrewChristlieb likes this

#99 Pok

Pok

Strategos (General)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

No, I've pretty much ignored the author after Live free or Die. Come on man, keep your creepy racism and fetishes to yourself :wacko: (yes, I know he've inserted the latter ever since Council wars series, but it was done in small doses there, and Kildar series is an adolescent power fantasy trip, I can live with it there)

The best books he did, imo, were the prince Rodger ones, with Weber as co-author. The two kept each other in check- Rico could drift off into sex and slaughter, while Weber couldn't spend entire chapters TALKING ABOUT DEM POLITICS MAN. It was glorious :P

• northerndragons likes this

Set phasers to "grumble"

Don't start an interstellar war, it has no helpful uses. If people ask you what's it for you'll only make excuses.

#100 Bombardier

Bombardier

Lokhagos (Captain)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStirling, UK

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Like I've said, anything by Alastair Reynolds, he's a physicist too, and all his technology is plausible (or at least based off existing and theoretical principles)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users