Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sevrance

New to the game. Looking for information

27 posts in this topic

So, as the title suggests, I'm new to the game. So new, I know very little about the game and the fleets. A few people in my gaming club have decided to take the game up and run some introductory games.

I'm toying between the Covenant and Prussians just from the way they look. Could people explain what the strengths and weaknesses of the Covenant are so I can get the fleet that most suits how I want to play. The more information, the better!

Thanks in advance.

The Covenant of Antarctica are second to none in the areas of:

-Vernian stylishness

-Getting boarded

-Hilarious insanity

-Wicked-awesome toys

The CoA are weak to boarding (The opposite of the PE), and are easier to learn than the PE (One of the hardest fleets to play). They rely on awesome technology to get the job done. Some of this is a refinement of the tech others have (E.g. Almost all our shields get a re-roll, and we have many more units that have them in the first place). Other tech is a bit unreliable, but awesome if it works- For example the Callimachus Time Dilation Orb, which can teleport units across the board.

They have the choice of energy turrets, which are equally effective at all range bands, which they can swap out instead of their standard (And pretty good) gunnery turrets. These aren't used much due to being less powerful than normal guns, but I hear a re-write is coming.

Generally, although they have many cool toys like the Callimachus, the Fresnel and the Aronax Submersible (145 points of Dune reference), just using their standard combat models will see you through. The Battleship is fantastic, the Cruisers are near the top of the pile for Cruisers across the game, their Destroyers are a terror and the Sky Fortress is one of the best (Their tiny flyers respawn when killed, instead of being lost, meaning they have an unlimited supply).

Interesting units include: Laser cannon focusing array (Fresnel), Sandworm boarding submarine (Aronax), Teleporter (Callimachus), Railgun spider tank (Skorpios), giant spider walker land aircraft carrier (Herodotus) and giant crab walker (Aristotle).

On a last note, the Particle Accelerator is great. It's a weapon that shoots one target with a good number of dice, then uses any missed dice on the next avaliable target in the line of fire, adding any re-rolls from sixes as new dice to the pool. It's been described as "the most fun I've had in a tabletop wargame" by one of my gaming group.

Though you don't have to play wacky with Covenant

If you want to go deadly serious, you absolutely can, and after seeing your Destroyers, Battleships and Skyships in action, your opponent will show you some war respect.

Unless you roll all ones, then they will laugh at you, as is just and right.

Thanks Guys.

I bought the Covenant battle group in the end, mainly for the fact they have freaken laser weapons and when it came down to it I just couldn't resist the ships.

So the next question is; what do you recommend as initial purchases after the battle group?

I'm a bit poor at the moment after spending a load of my cash on a kickstarter. I'm just looking to add what you consider key/best units for the covenant in sea or air. Feel free to put anything you think make useful additions, but maybe in a list of what you consider most important to least.

I'll get most of the models in time, but my local gaming group has begun a starter campaign (for most of us this will be our first time using our fleets) that will run for a while. So, I'm looking to focus my cash into solid additions for now and go crazy later when my finances recover.

Many thanks,

Sevrance

depending on your battle-tactics, i'd recommend a Carrier and/or a TDO

Carriers have the advantage of their payload being able to "re-spawn" and for a Naval game a Pericles or Epicurus both have their pros and cons

Pericles

• pros: cheap, has a reasonable torpedo compliment (which doesn't deteriorate with range), you can still fire torpedoes when launching drones.
  • cons: relatively vulnerable for a Massive-class vessel (low DR/CR)

Epicurus

• pros: drones get Quick-launch (can activate during the same turn they launch), it's an aircraft, drone-launcher can be used as a cannon (which can link in with the broadsides)
  • cons: expensive, can't shoot weapons if it launches drones

Callimachus TDO

• pros: cheap, tough, amphibious, different "support effects" (such as teleport, or the half-AD field)
  • cons: slow, only has aux-weapons, explodes when it loses its last HP

I never leave home without a carrier.

The Pericles is one of the few units worth using e-turrets with, as it will be hanging around at the back of the fleet.

The Epicurus, though, is downright my favourite CoA unit in the entire fleet. It's a flying, nigh-invulnerable monster, with better guns than our nominal "front line" large flyer, and is a carrier to boot. The one downside will be deciding if you want to use it as a carrier or just an avenging brick of justice. My Epicurus, the CAS Andraste has never been killed. She's weathered everything, from being boarded by a Prussian BB (I gained a nice new BB that day), to being shot by entire french fleets.

Just to clarify Nazduruk's point, none of our carriers can fire the same turn they launch, as they lack the Combat Launch MAR. It's just that the Pericles loses out less from not firing than an Epicurus, as it mainly has support weaponry, and will have plenty more chances to use it, as it will probably not be launching every turn, or be on the front line. Meanwhile, the Epicurus, with quick launch and high survivability has the potential to be launching every turn due to quick launch (Sit 16" away from an enemy, launch bomber drones max distance from the carrier, then bomb the enemy). Of course, then you have to decide if you want to just shoot the enemy instead (Though you can hurl drones from obscured).

I'm not a great fan of the TDO beyond dropping a sandworm on the enemy commodore, so I'll leave that to others.

none of our carriers can fire the same turn they launch, as they lack the Combat Launch MAR.

you can still fire torpedoes and (if you have them) drop bombs or mines, even without the Combat Launch MAR.

I also prefer the Epicurus to the Pericles, although both are good options.   

The Time Orb is situational, in my view; it's great against some opponents, crappy against others (unless you're slinging the sandworm or what have you, which I generally don't).  I would put it firmly in the nice-to-have category. 

i mainly use my TDOs for the half-AD field. comes in useful for defending against incoming fire, or you can dump one on a boarding-target to reduce its defensive-fire

Thanks all.

I'm going to pick up an Epicurus (Darn, those models are so cool!  :D )

I also managed to pick up another starter and a Prometheus for £20, so with an Epicurus on top I should have the makings of a good fleet off the bat.

So, what would you take in a 1000 point game with what I have (and a Epicurus)?

Well, you don't have many choices to build your fleet ;)

(You can use DWABO to make fleets lists)

Faction: CoA - Covenant of Antarctica
Core: Naval - Points: 1000 (1000 used)

1x (Aerial) | Epicurus Class Sky Fortress | Massive | 150 | [1]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1x (Naval) | Prometheus Class Dreadnought | Large | 275 | [1]

(Option) | Shield Generator | Prometheus Choice Upgrade

(Option) | Target Painter Generator | Prometheus Upgrade | +20 Large

1x (Naval) | Aristotle Class Battleship | Large | 185 | [1]

(Option) | Shield Generator | Aristotle Choice Upgrade

(Option) | Target Painter Generator | Aristotle Upgrade | +10 Large

3x (Naval) | Plato Class Cruiser | Medium | 195 | [2,3]

(Option) | Inventive Scientists | Plato Upgrade | +15 Medium | 3 models

3x (Naval) | Diogenes Class Frigate | Small | 75 | [2,4]

I'm not fan of Prometheus, because of its expensive cost regarding to its stats, but it's a fun model to play though (and still a psychologic weapon versus some players)

About the 6 Diogenes Frigates, you can play them as you prefer:

4x (Naval) | Diogenes Class Frigate | Small | 100 | [2,4]
2x (Naval) | Diogenes Class Frigate | Small | 50 | [2,4]

(...)

Meanwhile, the Epicurus, with quick launch and high survivability has the potential to be launching every turn due to quick launch (Sit 16" away from an enemy, launch bomber drones max distance from the carrier, then bomb the enemy). Of course, then you have to decide if you want to just shoot the enemy instead (Though you can hurl drones from obscured).

I'm learning the rules at the moment and am a little confused about this.

I can't find anywhere in the new rulebook that you can launch drones from the obscured height level nor do I see the Quick Launch MAR for the Epicurus.

Did that change? Is the Epicurus still worth it in 2.0?

Cheers,

Epicurus is still worth it. It's not as good as it was but that's because it was crazy good! It hasn't got quick launch anymore but it has a greater launch range than regular carriers. No reason why it can't launch obscured but sas automatically just goes in unobscured height level

One thing the Epicurus does have is the ability to launch drones 8" out instead of the standard 4" so you can get those drones a little closer.

I agree on the obscured answer by Oml he nailed it, nothing against it just SAS do not go anywhere but the standard height lvl for flying.

I still love my 4 Epicurus just set them in my display case this weekend, my CoA take up an entire shelf where everything else is half a shelf at best. 

Thank you both for the answers. Is it written somewhere in the rulebook and I missed it? 

And I can see it written in red on the fleet stats that the Epicurus can relaunch its drones within 8" but nothing about deployment. Where can I find that info?

Thank you for your help.

Remember, Drones launch with an activation marker already - so now they can't attack straight away. I think the initial launch isn't covered by the 8" entry in the ORBAT, so most likely doesn't apply to deployment...

Remember, Drones launch with an activation marker already - so now they can't attack straight away. I think the initial launch isn't covered by the 8" entry in the ORBAT, so most likely doesn't apply to deployment...

Correct. drones are deployed within 4" of their parent model, regardless of the model. The Epicurus just gets a longer relaunch range (we had to find some sort of use for that launch turret)

Thank you both for the answers. Is it written somewhere in the rulebook and I missed it? 

And I can see it written in red on the fleet stats that the Epicurus can relaunch its drones within 8" but nothing about deployment. Where can I find that info?

Thank you for your help.

You can't find a statement saying Carriers may operate from the Obscured height level, as it is not there. The general carrier rules allow them to operate at any height level.

Quick launch and Combat Launch went in the General Carrier MAR tidy up. In effect all carriers have them now.

SAS ( and therefore drones) always operate on the Flying height level- Heading ' SAS and movement', in the SAS section. It doesn't matter if their carrier is on the surface, flying, obscured or elsewhere, the SAS are on the Flying height level.

James

Thank you for all the help. 

It is clearer now.

And the comparison with Naval carrier makes perfect sense. 

Quick launch and Combat Launch went in the General Carrier MAR tidy up. In effect all carriers have them now.

All carriers have quick launch and combat launch? I'm confused.

Are you using the current version of the DW Rules Set (2.0) ?

Quick Launch and Combat Launch do not exist anymore.

The rules for carriers where changed and now work as if all carriers have those mars.

In case you only have the old rule book available Spartan Games offers the up to date rules as a PDF:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/wp/wp/wp-content/spartanimg/Dystopian_Wars_DigiAdmiral.pdf

I've never seen the old rulebook so I wouldn't know the difference.

What is the part in the current rules that reflects the lost Quick Launch MAR?

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since I can't remember anymore :P

Our carriers are unique, relaunching drones from the scrapyard rather than merely servicing those on the table already. That is the important bit. Well, that and using this drone network to overwhelm the enemy with science! :D

Sei likes this

You're right, doesn't matter.

I play FSA so I was looking for something similar and couldn't find it.

I've read the SAS rules at least 5 times already. At least, I know them well now. ^_-

Just to see if I can ... quick launch is where the old TFT sqns could be activated on turn of launch.... or it might have been the 4" buble it could be launched in :\  One or other :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.