Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gymn

Air Armada

20 posts in this topic

I use Illustriai Eagles Doncasters and Hawks...haven't got the smalls yet. Problems I run into invlove difficulty getting them in for a bombing run when my opponent has a tight formation and a serious lack of gunnery (and therefore reliance) on bombs.

Doncasters are very nice when coupled with the eagle for some extra support.

Hawks, while fragile can keep an enemy at bay simply by being there if they have any fear of boarding threats, a well placed commedore theft can shatter an enemy armada as well as they are swift and able to get in where they need to be if you get a shot at such a risky manuever.

Eagles are support vessels only, they lack toe to toe fire power of any sort.

The Illustrious is a horrifyingly powerful bomber and when combined with it's mines and TFT it is something to fear...however it's low movement makes it very difficult to bomb with and it's weapons are otherwise fairly lackluster for it's cost.

I use Illustriai Eagles Doncasters and Hawks...haven't got the smalls yet. Problems I run into invlove difficulty getting them in for a bombing run when my opponent has a tight formation and a serious lack of gunnery (and therefore reliance) on bombs.

Doncasters are very nice when coupled with the eagle for some extra support.

Hawks, while fragile can keep an enemy at bay simply by being there if they have any fear of boarding threats, a well placed commedore theft can shatter an enemy armada as well as they are swift and able to get in where they need to be if you get a shot at such a risky manuever.

Eagles are support vessels only, they lack toe to toe fire power of any sort.

The Illustrious is a horrifyingly powerful bomber and when combined with it's mines and TFT it is something to fear...however it's low movement makes it very difficult to bomb with and it's weapons are otherwise fairly lackluster for it's cost.

I like the mines, when you get to use them. A sprinkling from the Eagle as you pass by smaller vessels like frigates will usually destroy one or two - I quite like to pass just in front where in their next activation they are forced to drive straight into the mine. So, I obviously like Eagles - and they have an intimidation factor seemingly at odds with their statline - coupled with a sky fortress they could dish out some damage on a bombing run (remember, you only need to be within 4" now to hit with bombs - the Illustrious can conceivably pose a real threat now).

Merlins are good for anti-flier interdiction, operating a little like destroyers on the sea, and able to strike effectively against obscured targets.

Hawks are useful for the reasons cited by Shad0wb0w above - the threat of boarding. They are quite an irritant, and can drop mines themselves even more efficiently than the Eagles.

Doncasters are still versatile and might be overlooked by an opponent with bigger targets to handle.

I usually use the Hawks as boarders, and also their upgraded mines (magnetic mines MAR) work really well against small vessesls, so they don't get close to your big guys.

Doncasters... I haven't used them for a while. They are good, but under the 1.1 rules they seem to fragile. Maybe I'll try them coupled with an Eagle, I haven't used that guy yet and looks like a good idea (I still need to clean and assemble the model).

As for the Illustrius, the new tiny flyer rules has made it very usefull, I've tried it a few times and it worked really well (two torpedo/bomb runs can cripple any ship). The problem is that my games usually don't last very long (rarelly more that 4 turns), so I haven't bombed yet (a pity, I want to try that 12-AD-ignoring-shields attack).

I usually use the Hawks as boarders, and also their upgraded mines (magnetic mines MAR) work really well against small vessesls, so they don't get close to your big guys.

Doncasters... I haven't used them for a while. They are good, but under the 1.1 rules they seem to fragile. Maybe I'll try them coupled with an Eagle, I haven't used that guy yet and looks like a good idea (I still need to clean and assemble the model).

As for the Illustrius, the new tiny flyer rules has made it very usefull, I've tried it a few times and it worked really well (two torpedo/bomb runs can cripple any ship). The problem is that my games usually don't last very long (rarelly more that 4 turns), so I haven't bombed yet (a pity, I want to try that 12-AD-ignoring-shields attack).

It is a very appealing option even if all my mates playing other nations are picking them up as well. We haven't really tended to use carriers of any stripe much but I reckon you are right about the TF rules making them more attractive.

I find the flyers work best in close support with the rest, therefore I think an all-air force might not work...

You can have up to four illustrious in a thousand point list. That would be a ton of TFs.

I agree that a all air list would be difficult but the above list might work.

You can have up to four illustrious in a thousand point list. That would be a ton of TFs.

I agree that a all air list would be difficult but the above list might work.

I imagine that would be an expensive experiment (buying four Illustrious) and not balanced enough if you were playing with conventional force break down. However, it sounds like a lot of fun as well. That would be 34 TF to your opponents potential 10, swamping them with dive bombers - as well as the threat of encroaching sky fortresses which would bomb and shell as they neared. Take out small models and medium threats first perhaps and then board any large vessels perhaps? Could it work - I am guessing I would never own the miniatures to know!

While I haven't put out for the models my own tendancy for liking carriers and TFT has lead to the joking 15 Carrier 3K list (as I have 6 sea carriers as it stands).

Honestly if I were to run that many I'd just have to go with 14 + 1 eagle + 4 hawks +Merlins BUT...that's an in the clouds dream fleet that just poops mines like rain drops and blots out the sky with bombers.

Yea...

Our group regularly plays 3K battles, super specialized lists like that make interesting conversation pieces. Like the French RB4 list that fields half it's points in a naval battle on land based Arty and puts them on islands in the deployment zone.

That said...for DW all you need is a 6x4 or larger piece of wood with blue felt on it to make a game table unlike more complicated miniature game tables and because the ocean is flat or other some such things like relative scale it's not to hard to play at a friends house over a number of different meeting days that allow you to play massive and impressive looking battles.

BasicBob likes this

That would be an intense amount of tiny flyers. :D

I've got 6 Avengers and two Illustri as it is...I've had them on the table for ONE game...I botched my tactics badly by putting them all as fighters at the start...though the american botched his tactics a little too as it was one of our first games with the Minimum move goes in a strait line rules. And yeah...that was bloody...-coughs- PS NEVER EVER send TFT at the Savana while it's still blowing out all 9 AA.

I just have a Brunel. I did think a 70% illustrious would be awesome.

Unfortunately my budget is done for the year so I won't be getting anymore soon. (Gotta save for a computer.)

I just have a Brunel. I did think a 70% illustrious would be awesome.

Unfortunately my budget is done for the year so I won't be getting anymore soon. (Gotta save for a computer.)

Hey man, Life takes presidence first, no one here has any right to be rude about that. I'm trying to tame my own budget slightly for some car work...unless I can get a good computer internship and then I'll be doing way better than I am right now.

Indeed. I may see if I can proxy some merlins and try an all air fleet. My group tends to be rather lax about proxying.

I played a game yesterday with a few of the people at my club who don't really know the rules yet. We did 600 points. I had a dread, 2 vanguards, 4 attackers and 2 hawks. I was allied with the FSA and the had similar. (cruisers instead of vanguards)

The other side was PE and CoA

We started late and had end so weonlu got to turns in but my hawks preformes fairly well. I flew them over a frigate rush and laid mines in front. They managed to come out of a broadside attack by a pair of pfilchts unharmed.

Yea, I want to try out the Merlins in a airbuild but haven't got the models done yet. Or I should say I've got three but I'm still waiting on another blister so I can paint up the whole 5 aircraft squadron. My 1000 point airbuild will be something like this:

Illustrious

Eagle

Hawks x3

Doncasters x3

Doncasters x3

Merlins x5

I was thinking of dropping a Merlin and Doncaster to add the fourth Hawk but I'm not sure on that yet. I will basically send the Hawks and Eagle up the middle with the Illustrious and Merlins supporting them and the Doncasters moving down both flanks. The lack of LR fire is going to be a problem but if I can get in close - the bombs and mines should reek havoc and than the Hawks can board targets of opportunity.

Yea, I want to try out the Merlins in a airbuild but haven't got the models done yet. Or I should say I've got three but I'm still waiting on another blister so I can paint up the whole 5 aircraft squadron. My 1000 point airbuild will be something like this:

Illustrious

Eagle

Hawks x3

Doncasters x3

Doncasters x3

Merlins x5

I was thinking of dropping a Merlin and Doncaster to add the fourth Hawk but I'm not sure on that yet. I will basically send the Hawks and Eagle up the middle with the Illustrious and Merlins supporting them and the Doncasters moving down both flanks. The lack of LR fire is going to be a problem but if I can get in close - the bombs and mines should reek havoc and than the Hawks can board targets of opportunity.

I like the list. What will you do with your TFs ? By my count you have 16 of them to find uses for.

One thing game wise I find most appealing about a KoB air force is the "skilled minelayers" MAR on the Illustrious and Eagle. Essentially you are getting three bomb type attacks in RB1 that do not suffer the RB 1 penalty on guns. And are not affected by HP loss penalty. With the "Armoured Belly " MAR and the Guardian Generator the tactics for the Eagle are quite clear. I think this unit is alot better than it appears at first glance.

I find the flyers work best in close support with the rest, therefore I think an all-air force might not work...

I would simply ask you why you think it "might not work" ?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Warcradle Studios are looking for active community members to support the forum upon its relaunch!
If you're interested, drop us an email at forum@warcradle.com.